Example of why I buy from B&H

I received my used travel/hiking tripod from B&H today at 25% less than the cost they charge for the same item when it is brand new. Their online description of the condition was a rating of 9, which means it "shows signs of use, but [is] very clean." It's definitely very clean but I'll be darned if I can find anything showing signs of use.

The only problem is that the quick release plate explained in the transcript of the live chat when I asked about it was not included. I don't need the plate but I also don't feel comfortable paying for something that was supposed to have been included in the purchase price. The gentleman on the phone said he could credit my credit card considering that I didn't want the plate. He explained that they sell the item for $20 and would give me the full credit. I reminded him that I bought and was expecting a used item, so perhaps he was forgetting that the credit should be less than the amount charged for a brand new item. Without going into any explanation, he simply said he was happy to credit the entire $20.

Just another example of why I have liked doing business with B&H for so many years. And there are other examples I won't bother mentioning.

Last edited:

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
I received my used travel/hiking tripod from B&H today at 25% less the cost than what they charge for the same item when it is brand new. Their online description of the condition was a rating of 9, which means it "shows signs of use, but [is] very clean." It's definitely very clean but I'll be darned if I can find anything showing signs of use.

The only problem is that the quick release plate explained in the transcript of the live chat when I asked about it was not included. I don't need the plate but I also don't feel comfortable paying for something that was supposed to have been included in the purchase price. The gentleman on the phone said he could credit my credit card considering that I didn't want the plate. He explained that they sell the item for $20 and would give me the full credit. I reminded him that I bought and was expecting a used item, so perhaps he was forgetting that the credit should be less than the amount charged for a brand new item. Without going into any explanation, he simply said he was happy to credit the entire $20.

Just another example of why I have liked doing business with B&H for so many years. And there are other examples I won't bother mentioning.

Yep, Mike, this is my general experience with B&H. I always feel I get a fair shake from them. It's amazing, considering the amount of business they do. They could just totally not care about the little guys, but their standards are extremely high, and they are excellent.

+1 from me too. I always use them when buying new, as the closest camera shop is almost 2 hours away... :(

I've had packaging issues with B&H on a couple of occasions, fortunately nothing delicate. Also poor for high demand items due to large customer base. Randy turned me on to District Camera and I've been a customer ever since. Eldar works magic(y).

I've had packaging issues with B&H on a couple of occasions, fortunately nothing delicate.

I've never experienced that issue.

Also poor for high demand items due to large customer base.

That's a good problem for them to have. Not so for us in the near term but in the long term their large customer base helps keeps prices low thanks to economies of scale.

That's a good problem for them to have. Not so for us in the near term but in the long term their large customer base helps keeps prices low thanks to economies of scale.
Actually, Eldar discounts items making District Camera's prices lower than B&H's. My customer experience with District Camera surpasses that with B&H which by the way is (was) substantial.

Actually, Eldar discounts items making District Camera's prices lower than B&H's.

That's good to know that happens. I just now compared a couple of items and the prices were exactly the same. Though District Camera has always had a great reputation and is in my area, I've never used them. A couple years ago they bought a small company just ten minutes from my home, so I should keep them in mind in the future.

If we want to go to the trouble of getting the B&H card, they'll refund the sales tax, which for me is 7%. That makes all of B&H prices 7% lower, though I've haven't gotten their card. I've bought only one item since they came out with that policy and it wasn't worth the trouble to save $10.

Real Name
Andy
I just used the B&H Payboo credit card for the first time last week to buy a polarizer from them. It was painless to apply for and instantaneous to receive. It is just the most recent way they have demonstrated their interest in retaining customer loyalty. As far as I can tell, B&H is paying sales tax for me without adding it to the purchase price.

Real Name
Randy
I've had packaging issues with B&H on a couple of occasions, fortunately nothing delicate. Also poor for high demand items due to large customer base. Randy turned me on to District Camera and I've been a customer ever since. Eldar works magic(y).
there is no reason to ever buy from B&H or anyone else. If B&H gives you 4% off in future credit Eldar takes it off the price.

Real Name
Randy
That's good to know that happens. I just now compared a couple of items and the prices were exactly the same. Though District Camera has always had a great reputation and is in my area, I've never used them. A couple years ago they bought a small company just ten minutes from my home, so I should keep them in mind in the future.

If we want to go to the trouble of getting the B&H card, they'll refund the sales tax, which for me is 7%. That makes all of B&H prices 7% lower, though I've haven't gotten their card. I've bought only one item since they came out with that policy and it wasn't worth the trouble to save $10.
B&H charges me tax now and District Camera doesn't, backwards from you. The tax + the discount makes District Camera a no brainer. I got a 4% discount plus 8% tax savings on my 400e (which was over $11k) so over $1K less

Eldar and his whole team are terrific! They are great with doing trade-ins, definitely fair on pricing, too. Yeah, we who are in Virginia have to pay state sales tax, of course, but I feel that when there is a good, trustworthy and reliable camera shop around, we local photographers need to keep supporting them. I haven't yet been to their new store which just opened in Arlington, but have been to the store in Burke quite a few times. Given a choice between B&H and District Camera, I'll take District Camera every time!

B&H charges me tax now and District Camera doesn't, backwards from you. The tax + the discount makes District Camera a no brainer. I got a 4% discount plus 8% tax savings on my 400e (which was over $11k) so over $1K less

But, just because District Camera doesn't collect and send your state the Sale Tax (if they have one) you technically as a consumer owe the state money. Remember that the Supreme Court rules that states can collect sale taxes from online purchases, even if the retailer has no physical presence in your state.

That being said, B&H has never charged me sales tax, but my state has a 7% sales tax rate. :)

In California there is a separate line that you can account and pay any sales tax that was not collected by the merchant on their behalf. I don't know what happens if you live in a state that has a sales tax but no personal income tax.

In California there is a separate line that you can account and pay any sales tax that was not collected by the merchant on their behalf. I don't know what happens if you live in a state that has a sales tax but no personal income tax.

I'm shocked that Tennessee does not take a harder stance on trying to collect from online purchases, since there is no personal income tax. Until then B&H all the way for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom