Excitement led to a comedy of errors chasing a pileated.

Early this morning, I was getting ready to go outside to feed the birds when I spotted a pileated woodpecker pecking away at some suet. I ran back into the family room where my cameras were waiting and thought "ok...now i"ve got you," even though I have to shoot through the window I should get some decent full frame shots with the D6 and 500 pf combo. To make the scene even more exciting, by the time I picked up the camera, the pileated and a red squirrel were going at it around the trunk of the tree. Not surprisingly the pileated was giving as good as it got. Focus...depress shutter.....a loud beep beep beep and nothing!!! Try again and same loud painful beep, beep, beep. Crap!! so picked up the Z6 that had the 300 pf attached and attempted to grab some shots with it. Not enough reach to get a decent focus. Quickly swap the 500 off the D6 and attach it to the Z6. By this time the fight with the squirrel was over. But managed to get a couple of still shots. Afterwards I went to check the D6 and kept getting the same beep. Reset all settings and then I finally noticed that the camera was set on timer!!! What can I say it was dark in the room. So then I tried some test images. monitor at back showed black!!!. Then i realized, "you reset the camera settings to default so playback does'nt display images on monitor automatically in default factor settings". DOH!!
Anyhow...here's a couple of images that I managed to finally get.
Pileated Dec 6 2020 8324.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pileated Dec 6 2020 8331.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice shots especially for through a window. Sorry you missed the battle though. That would have been fun to see. We have a regular pair (Ozzie and Harriet) that come to our suet. Closest thing to a pteradactyl I have ever seen! Keep that Z6 armed and ready.

This proves that your keeper rater is higher when things are going incorrectly than my keeper rate when things are going correctly. :eek:

About an hour ago when the camera was mounted on a tripod, I couldn't figure out why every time I turned on the camera the shutter automatically released. After about six tries of turning the camera off and then on, I finally figured it out: I was using a wired remote release that has the capability of leaving the shutter open until I manually close it. I had unknowingly tripped the thingy on the remote release that keeps the shutter open and I hadn't manually closed it.

Stuff happens. What you able to grab is really nice. (y)
thanks Rick. For sure stuff happens, wisdom comes from not making the same mistakes.
Nice shots especially for through a window. Sorry you missed the battle though. That would have been fun to see. We have a regular pair (Ozzie and Harriet) that come to our suet. Closest thing to a pteradactyl I have ever seen! Keep that Z6 armed and ready.
Thanks...they are a prehistoric looking bird and their loud piercing, mocking cry reinforces their look.
You have the same mischievous camera imps that we have! Glad you prevailed!
Thanks Nick. I am too.
Nice shots, I really like that first one. Glad to know I'm not the only one prone to "set and forget". The timer thing gets me every time.
Thanks Bobby. It surprised me cause I rarely if ever use the timer so it was a " crap, what does that warning beep mean" moment.
Very good shots Bob, and I too agree about "set and forget", have done it many times.
Thanks Louis. glad to see that I'm not the only one.
This proves that your keeper rater is higher when things are going incorrectly than my keeper rate when things are going correctly. :eek:

About an hour ago when the camera was mounted on a tripod, I couldn't figure out why every time I turned on the camera the shutter automatically released. After about six tries of turning the camera off and then on, I finally figured it out: I was using a wired remote release that has the capability of leaving the shutter open until I manually close it. I had unknowingly tripped the thingy on the remote release that keeps the shutter open and I hadn't manually closed it.
I can commiserate with you then. The "doh" moments in our lives goes to show that we are not infallible:)

Nice ones. One of my biggest dumb moves was traveling 2 hours for a sunrise and realizing when I got there I did not have a battery in my camera.

Nice ones. One of my biggest dumb moves was traveling 2 hours for a sunrise and realizing when I got there I did not have a battery in my camera.
My worst has been driving a 100 miles and forgetting to put the camera body in the bag! :banghead:

Most common was in my time with the D810, when I'd run in Mirror Up Mode while shooting landscapes from a tripod, and then days latter not knowing why the shutter was all wonky!

Real Name
Randy
Nice shots bob

I’ve done no battery, dead battery, no card, full card

Real Name
Phil
Not bad at all, anyway. I would like to have something like this through my windows(all I can get are pigeons).

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom