Exhibition up and open!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I've not been around here too much lately, but getting together an exhibition of over 300 images in my postcards series, plus some 20 larger, conventional images has been a far more mammoth task than I ever suspected. Lots of sleepless nights, angst, organisation and more.

It runs at the ArtSpace Gallery until October 1. The opening last night was quite fun, good attendance, and a funky vibe that lasted quite late. Being a bit nervous, I probably had far too much red wine, especially as I never drink!

Anyway, called Durban Washday, the main body of work hangs from colourful wash line pegs and is a brightly saturated collection of "rough" streetsnaps. It takes up eight 7 yard spans of washing line, 4 on either side of the gallery. Overall, the effect is quite nice, as the space has an industrial feel about it and the images and pegs cast some nice shadows on the walls. The conceptual idea is based on the notion that the wholeness of cities is greater than the sum of the parts, and the visual overall impression of the city as seen when you first enter the space (the whole) can be looked at in the detail of each image (the parts).

There are another 20 larger works around two themes -- Be My Valentine, and Endless Summer.

Anyway, this is just one of walls of the space with some of the 300 image installation. 300 images takes up LOTS of space.

[​IMG]

and a press clipping from today

[​IMG]

There'll be some reviews in the next few days. If you're interested, I'll post them, good or bad!

Nice to be back at the Cafe

Best

Peter

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Peter :

Congratulations for the opening ! May this be one of many successes for you !

John P.

3. Thanks John P...much appreciated!!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Peter!!!

Wo0w - what a great show from the look of it! 300 images, I'm surprised you were able to get it together in a month - and from what I can see - they're very good looking! Well done.

Also i's great to see you back here in the Cafe! I've missed your presence - welcome back!

5. Peter, so nice to see you back. That is a pretty impressive exhibit you have there and I wish you the best with this project.

6. Thanks Chris and Gordon!
    Chris, I've missed your funky avatars, I must say. They just seem to get better!

7. Well done Peter.....
    After looking at your past posts and work.... I cannot think of a better person to get this type of exposure.
    Well done

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2005
  8. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Peter,

Wow, congratulations on a wonderful exhibition. It looks absolutely fantastic. I am only sorry that I am too far to visit and see it in person.

Actually, I must say that your work has inspired me. I am working on my study abroad plans for next year, and thanks in part to your images, South Africa is one of my top choices right now. Thank you for helping to open a new door to me!

9. Congratulations to this great exhibition! I would have loved to see it in person! I love the artful touch with the clothesline and hanging them that way, very nice effect, hope whne you get a breather to get to see a bunch of the pictures on the web!

10. It's just wonderful!

And I love the Exhibition avant-garde format. All in all, seems to be very artsy!

If I was rich, I wouldn't hesitate to go visit.

Please post the reviews. Good or bad. We're a team here. Remember? :wink:

11. Peter,

It's great to have you come back for a visit! Please don't make it a short one...

Fantastic as always to see your work, even if at a "macro" level. It must be very rewarding to see your work displayed like this, and I'm sure it will be very sucessful.

Congratulations!

12. Thanks everyone...Gosh I'd almost forgotten what a wonderful, supportive family of people you all are! Your support is really appreciated!

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Brilliant Peter, Just Brilliant.

So glad to see your exibit up. Wonderful. Best reviews to you.
    Enjoyed seeing part of it that you showed us.
    Congratulations.

Welcome back from a tough job.
    We sure have missed you.
    Cheers

15. Excellent exhibit. A lot of time and work has gone into that. Nice to see your stuff being 'shown'. Wish I cd see them, look like great images! Congratulations on your exhibition.
    PS: prefer the smiling you *LOL*

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congratulations Peter. Looks like a wonderful exhibit. I can certainly understand the nervousness. Any chance that there will be a book? Since you have already done most of the hard work. That way, we all would get a chance to see these images in person. :smile:

17. Congratulations Peter, it's well deserved and long overdue.

If you get a chance I know I'd like to see more of the exhibition space and how your photos are being displayed.

Hope it's a great success for you!

_/oe

18. Congratulatiosn Peter I am sure thsi will be a rousign success your are a talented man, with great vision.

19. Looks great. Wish I could see it with my own eyes!

20. That is just brilliant. Well done and good luck.

Bob F