EXIF data on lens used?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by AndyE, May 2, 2005.

1. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Dear cafe members,
    this is my first post in this Nikon cafe (we have a long tradition for coffee houses in Vienna, I like the mood so much).

My question:
    There are many EXIF readers out there. All are capable to return the focal length, but only Nikon View and Nikon Capture show me WHAT lens type I used for this picture (eg.: AF-S 17-55DX). I'd like to get an (statistical) overview how many pictures had been taken by this lens, how many by that lens? With NC or NV I need to open every single file, which is very cumbersome.

Any tips or hints are really appreciated

with king regards,
    Andy

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I use Opanda, which gives a lot of info and allows me to view the EXIF Data on shots posted if they contain it.

Opanda gives the following also (from an actual photo):

Lens Type = Nikon D series Lens
    Lens Min/Max Focal Length, Max Aperture = 180/10 700/10 35/10 45/10
    Focal Length = 18mm
    Max Aperture Value = F3.48
    F Number = F3.5

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Monty,

Again that is such a beautiful image :>)) Thanks for posting it again.

5. Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Apr 24, 2005
    Alaska
    Nice Primulas!
    Does anyone know if focused distance or reproduction ratio (more important with the Micro-Nikkors) is somewhere in the EXIF data? Seems that with D lenses this would be a 'no-brainer' for Nikon to incorporate and particularly useful for macro or close-up photography. javascript:emoticon(':idea:')
    Greetings from Alaska!
    Tom

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Apr 24, 2005
    Alaska
    Hi Paul,
    Everything but the kitchen sink and distance.
    Thanks
    Tom

8. Consider this a shout. How does one get the EXIF data to display in the photo in PS CS2? Is it possible in Aperture.

newbie in SW Missouri

9. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I downloaded a program call Focalplot that will look at .jpg in a folder and tell you the percent of shoots and at what focal length was used plus the times it was used.

It will not tell what lens, but it will give the focal length. The version I have only reads info from .jpg files, not .nef I have not been back to see if there are any updates for reading RAW file info.

10. Joe Coulson has written a very nice script for use with CS2 which frames the photo and then includes EXIF.

original.

Joe gets credit for the frame and info - the photo is my fault, don't blame Joe.

http://www.joe-sherry.com/PrintEXIF/index.htm

Here is the link to Joe's page with script.
    Hope this helps,

Mike

11. When you open a picture in Nikon capture (hope you have it), than you can see what type of lense was used. This info is showed at the top of the picture

alex

12. Thanks Mike, this is exactly what I was hoping to find. Have it downloaded, hope to get time tomorrow to install and use it.

13. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Thanks for the link and thanks to Joe for such a great service.