EXIF Data

Why is it that with some pics I can view the EXIF data in Bridge or CS3, and others I cannot ?? :confused:

I find it very helpful to be able to see what camera settings and/or gear was used to figure out how a picture was made. I see some pics that are really awesome and try to figure out how it was made...... but there is no EXIF data........... so for all I know the pic could be a 4x5 Film scan, a D3, a D300, or Heaven forbid......... a Canon! LOL!! :eek:

Am I just totally lost here or what? Is this a setting the photographer does in PP or is something wrong with my software?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but if I dont ask I may never know...... and yes I used the search function. :wink:

It is my understanding that it is how the photographer moves the pictures off of the camera.

I used to just use windows explorer and copy and paste the pics into the desired folder. I ended up losing most of my own exif data. I was told on another thread, that I should try using picture software to move the files off the camera. I tried using Nikon View and Voila all my exif data is now intact. :eek:

Evidently you need to use software that understands what this information is when moving the files otherwise it must deem this info as unnessary and deletes it.

I am also to understand that some photographers intentionally hide their exif data just so people can't see it. (Trade Secrets I guess):mad:

I hope this helps.

Jeff, it must be something else that's stripping the EXIF because I cut and paste from my cards to my pics folder each and every time with WinXPPro, and the EXIF is always intact. The EXIF data is embedded in the pic header so it travels as one unit, AFAIK.

I know that "save for web" in Photoshop strips the data out.

It is my understanding that it is how the photographer moves the pictures off of the camera.

I used to just use windows explorer and copy and paste the pics into the desired folder. I ended up losing most of my own exif data. I was told on another thread, that I should try using picture software to move the files off the camera. I tried using Nikon View and Voila all my exif data is now intact. :eek:

Evidently you need to use software that understands what this information is when moving the files otherwise it must deem this info as unnessary and deletes it.

Hmmm........ I use Windows Explorer (Vista and/or Windows XP) and just copy and paste in folders. My EXIF stays attached. :confused:

Jeff, it must be something else that's stripping the EXIF because I cut and paste from my cards to my pics folder each and every time with WinXPPro, and the EXIF is always intact. The EXIF data is embedded in the pic header so it travels as one unit, AFAIK.

I know that "save for web" in Photoshop strips the data out.

I think that may be it. I just experimented with one of my pics and when I made changes, then "saved it as" a different file name it retained the EXIF.

But........ when I made changes and "saved it for web" the EXIF no longer shows. :frown:

Maybe that's whats happening?

I am also to understand that some photographers intentionally hide their exif data just so people can't see it. (Trade Secrets I guess):mad:

That's probably the case alot of the time too. Gotta keep your secrets secret..... :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Top Bottom