1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EXIF editor for Apple

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by oddstray, Aug 17, 2008.

1. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm a PC-to-Apple immigrant. I'm not a professional photographer, so I have no reason to invest significant money for the best and easiest post-processing tools.

Sometimes I just want to do a simple EXIF-edit and resizing, to put my photos into our online album. iPhoto doesn't work, since its "export for Web" will resize but will, I assume, strip the EXIF. And I don't think it has any EXIF- editing capability.

I found a really good command-line (uses terminal.app) EXIF editor. But that requires a buncha' manual clicks/keystrokes. I could wrap it in a GUI (I'm a software wienie and am learning how to develop for Apple). But that doesn't get me image resizing.

Does anyone know of something reasonably priced, that provides EXIF-editing and resizing, that (a) runs on Mac OS X, or (b) provides source code in Java so I can rebuild it for Mac OS X?

Thanks ...

2. Define reasonably priced. Lightroom, Aperture, or CaptureNX will allow you to do all of this pretty well, and they're not that expensive considering what you get

3. rsirota

rsirota

Aug 6, 2008
    New Lenox, IL
    Try GraphicsConverter

4. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    For what I want to do, less than $50 (USD). And bug-fix upgrades for free for at least five years. EXIF editing and image resizing isn't a complex software task. It is tedious, though, to create even a low-capability software package, so I was hoping someone had already done it.

And I agree that those packages are not expensive considering what they offer. But I don't want most of what they offer at this point in handling my photos. And most of them charge additional for any upgrades.

5. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I looked at the 'Reveal' project, and it's a promising source for EXIF-editing source code. I also tried your alta vista search string and found pretty much the same as what I found using google. There are many EXIF viewers. There are a few EXIF editors. A subset of those EXIF editors are offered in source code. Very few of them can handle a raw photo (.NEF). None of them goes farther and does image resizing as well as EXIF editing.

So I'll probably wind up either writing my own, or learning how to create scripts for Apple to use the command-line apps that I've found.

I had a brief, shining moment of hope when I read that MacGIMP for Leopard will be available soon! :502: But when I investigated, I found nothing in the GIMP documentation that suggests that it can edit EXIF. :D epressed

6. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Another vote for Graphic Converter!

7. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    With respect to GraphicsConverter, I downloaded the trial. Am I missing something? It seems so eager to strip my EXIF that it makes me nervous. :eek:  And I don't see any place there to edit my EXIF data.

It will let me create IPTC data. But doesn't appear to default to starting from my existing IPTC data, and I don't know how to match up the field names that show in its browser to the field names in its IPTC edit window. So I'd be afraid to overwrite something.

The last thing that makes me go "hmmm" is the number of fields it shows me with "unknown tag". Though that may actually be a good feature ... it may be showing me *all* the info in the EXIF area instead of only what it thinks it can parse.

Help, anyone? Thanks ...

8. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Ok. GraphicConverter isn't a EXIF editor. My bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.