Expensive glass = Not such a good idea...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Oct 13, 2005.

1. My photographer buddy was assaulted tonight by some drunken yahoo. Fortunately he came out okay, his biggest fear is that his 7000 dollars worth of gear was alright. He was running around the block trying to avoid getting his equipment damaged. I told him to hand me his equipment, while trying to escape this guy. Anyways, I'm kinda glad I'm only using my 18-70 at night. If I had a 17-55, I might freak out if it broke from an assault or bad fall. Anyways, considering the dangers of my job, sometimes having cheap glass isn't such a bad idea. :eek:

Being a street freelancer is tough, salary guys don't have to worry about anything. Lucky guys!

2. It's scary, Jonathan. And we thought you had the best job in the world looking at your party photos.

Take good care of yourself, pal.

3. I show you guys only the good times. Unfortunately there's some dangers to my job as well! Though, I like the ninja approach to things! Get in there fast, get the shot and be out of the person's way before they know it! :biggrin:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Angels be with you.

Be careful Jonathan.
    Last years accident was a horror. Glad your ok now.

5. Thanks Gale, now that I think about it...I've had quite a few close calls!

6. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Jonathan, have you considered an insurance policy for your gear? Yeah, an 18-70 might be relatively cheap, but it's still a few hundred dollars.

7. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    First, if you give up carrying good glass, you're going to have to change your user ID to "Jonathan F/4".

Second, if you act like you're protecting a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR on a D2X, you've lost, even before the fight has begun. If you casually flip it around so you're holding it by the lens barrel, just shy of the hood, you've now got something that weighs as much as a blacksmith's hammer, and has about the same moment arm. Most people will back off if you start swinging it. You shouldn't actually need to conect...

8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Johnathan, slightly different approach to your job. Up your rates slightly and employ a shaven headed gorilla for a couple of nights a week. :wink:

All he has to do is stand there and tell people to "Talk to the Hand!" :eek:

9. I was thinking of recruiting some of my neighborhood LA gangbangers as bodyguards. I think it would be great seeing the face of some drunken rich pansy boy, up against LA's most harden thugs! It would be great! Anyways, I think I need to go shoot some pretty ladies and have a couple mixed drinks! :p

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  10. You just need bigger lenses. At some point, say 500mm, they should make pretty good defensive weapons. :wink:

11. I just copped at look at PJohnP's 200-400VR lens last night!!!! Get one of those and no one will dare touch ya!!! BTW, I always hold my 70-200VR by the barrel, not the camera when carrying it around sans strap. I get a better grip on it and I'd never hesitate to swing it if coerced. I once had to threaten a drunk with my heavy tripod to get him to back off - he decided he cd hawk my camera for the price of a bottle but I was determined to win that debate.
    I don't envy your industry!

12. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    That's a bit scary, Jonathan. Take care of yourself. But seriously, your life is more important than the gear! When in doubt, dumb the gear and run. Let me know and I will pick them up. :biggrin:

13. W Thorne

W Thorne

Jul 24, 2005
    Houston
    Glad to hear you're okay. Digital cameras are to complex and to lite.

In the old days we walked around with F2A's and large motor drives. Even the lenses were heavy. Camera and lens could weigh 10 - 15 lbs. Hit somebody with one of those in the head and they're going down and the camera just kept on shooting.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ya know W, that's what I'm thinking too. And I'll bet some of those chickies would swoon to see JF deck some bully with the cam he just shot them with!

"Oh Jonathan" they'd say, "you handle that D2h pretty well. Now how about these..."

15. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Chris, how well do all those hands know that Blonde? :smile: :smile: :smile:
    They can't all belong to friends.

16. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    When I'm in street photography mode, Mr. Glock always comes with me.

17. Yeah, if I pull a glock out on somebody...let's just say that won't go over well with my work long-term and the reputation of my job! :biggrin:

18. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Run! Don't fight. If you pull anything, make it a Pepper-Spray Fogger! If I were doing what you do I would have one (police model) on my belt.

19. My Gosh Jonathan, what part of LA were you in? I visited there last year and drove all over and some places I wish I wouldn't have been near. Glad to hear everything went well in the end.