Expensive Weekend

Lots of people had problems, as noted above, with the 200-600 and the a7riv.
Lots of people didn't have problems with it, I was in the camp of no problems. My 200-600 and a7riv got along quite nicely. I have 1.5yrs worth of bird pictures to confirm.
The a1 is better. It certainly is faster acquiring focus. The a7riv has a problem keeping a bird in focus flying straight at you, the a1 handles that easily most of the time. Sometimes it to misses, but that is rare.
At least in my hands, for my work, although the a1 is a terrific camera with many advantages, it is not worth 2x the cost of the a7riv.
Luckily my finance committee did not care, so I have both. Usually have the 200-600 on the a1 shorter glass on the a7riv.
gary,

That is what I'm thinking I'll be doing when I get the A1......keeping it pretty much attached most of the time to either the 100-400mm or the 200-600mm and my beloved macro 90mm will live happily on the A7R IV. That lens has spent much of its life on there, anyway. I am looking forward to having two ILC bodies -- I've really missed that convenience!

The main reason I got the a1, is I wanted a 2 body sony system.
I was hoping to set the 2 bodies up so they would handle the same, unfortunately with the changes in the menu systems, etc I can get them close but not identical.
They are a great tag team.
Unfortunately it hasn't made the humble piffle I call my photography any better, but that is not the equipment's fault.
gary

That is something that I know I'll find a bit disconcerting -- the fact that they've gone and changed the menu system! I'm quite accustomed to the one in my RX10 IV and the A7R IV -- it'll be a learning curve getting the new camera set up and then working with the two ILCs in tandem, although much of the time I probably won't be doing that, where I'd have both with me somewhere in the field, as I'm not planning any major photography-related excursions for a while. Nonetheless, at least they'll both use the same batteries and that can be handy, and although I do plan on buying a couple of the new CF Express Type A cards for the A1 I understand that in a pinch I could still use an UHS II SD card as well, and of course those are what keep my A7R IV purring and happy.

It is a PAIN to set up with the new menu system, but once set up and in the field they are close enough.
I have only 1 of the new type a cards for the a1. Actually, the way I shoot the faster sd cards work fine. They are slower, but the buffer is still large enough I have never hit the buffer limitations yet even with the sd card.
They are a great system together.
30fps sure fills cards fast. With silent shutter on the a1 you shoot 10x more than you think you did. Does give a lot more choices on wing position, etc.
Get lots of batteries, in the field these eat batteries. I have 6, and an in car charger. Have used 5 in a heavy day.
In post, the files seem to be about the same as well.
Enjoy the journey
gary

That is one thing I was planning to do, get a couple of extra batteries, as one of my original ones that I bought with the A7R IV is getting to the point where it runs out of juice more quickly than it used to do -- probably about time to retire it or reserve it only for use in the A7R IV for shooting macros or something at home when I tend not to shoot as extensively as when out and about. I try to rotate the batteries around so that all get equal usage but that doesn't always work out.

That is encouraging that the faster SD cards work fine, as those are what I use now in the A7R IV, and it's good to know that I can easily pop one into the A1 and use it in there as well, and especially if I'm not doing a lot of BIF will work out just fine for everyday type shooting. Those new Type A cards are expensive so yeah, buying just one for starters seems like a good idea!

Real Name
Dan
...The a7riv has a problem keeping a bird in focus flying straight at you...
Could you expound on that statement, Gary? Does the A7 have a problem keeping up with large wading birds or when the subjects are smaller and faster? And is it a constant problem or hit and miss whether is loses focus?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom