Experience with Nikkor Perspective Control Lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by BarryD3, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I would appreciate your comments on the Nikkor perspective controlled lenses and in particular the PC-E Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D. I'm considering it to aid in photographing various items such as equipment, jewerly, and other such stuff. Any sample images would be welcomed also.

Thanks in advance,

2. Help my lusting for a PC lens

Does anyone have expereince with the Nikkor PC (uh not meaning a polictically correct) lens?

Thanks,

3. Hi Barry,

I just brought a 24mm PC-E lens about 3 weeks ago and love it. I takes some practice and video searches on using the lens but it is great.

Perform a search of my posts and you will see a few of my pictures using the PC lens.

4. Thanks Ralphy (I believe). I did find a couple, but would like to see more if possible.

5. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I have several PC lenses:

85mm f/2.8 Micro
    28mm f/3.5 (Shift only)
    24mm f/3.5
    Canon 35mm f/2.8 T/S

The 85mm is ideal for the kind of work you mention. I love this lens. I'll see if I can locate some examples.

-- Russ

6. Thank you Russ.

7. Romeo

Romeo

May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    I have the 85mm PC D and I love using it for small product shooting. The DOF gain is a major plus. I used to used the Voigtlander 125mm but I often have to used f22 to get decent sharpness on the entire subject. With the 85mm PC, I was able to used f11 and get everything tack sharp and it is as sharp as the CV 125 stop down.

But the drawback for me is how the 90 degree tilt/shift relationship. It was time consuming after you tilt the lens and I had to move the camera to recompose. So I modified the lens and it now tilts and shift on the same plain. Now after you tilt the lens, just use the shift to recompose and no need to move the entire camera. This is really a time saver.

Here is a full frame shot of a pair of earrings that would be impossible to get with a non tilt lens at f11 (the sweet spot of 85mm PC).
    [​IMG]

8. Thank you Remeo for the guidance. Seems I saw a note somewhere mentioning that the 85mm PC can be reconfigured to have the tilt and shift in the same direction/plane. Is this easily accomplished? Also, very nice shot of the earrings.

Regards,