Experience with Tripod base (eg. Kirk)?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by sreeves31, Aug 5, 2007.

1. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    I bought a replacement tripod for my aging Bogen this weekend. I am a short photographer and am considering removing the center post (since I almost never extend it) and replacing it with a Kirk tripod base. I have a Kirk ballhead and L-bracket and I have been impressed with the quality of this company's products and service. Does anyone use this type of base? Is it worth the 90 bucks or so for a little additional stability and flexibility? Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. I use a Markins base for my Gitzo 1327 but I use a Kirk head too and all Kirk's products are first rate. No worries.

3. I use a Kirk on my Gitzo 1325. It works like a charm.

4. There seems to be a certain upper tier of retailers that are mentioned in photo forums; this one and anothers regarding our gear. Companies that seem to either produce quality gear or excellant service or both in the vast majority of instances are; Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, B & H. If I have had a problem with any items purchased from any of these companies (one only); it has been replaced pronto with no hoops to jump through.
    If you think about it, with the Internet today and all the "photography forums" it wouldn't take long for a retailer to lose a substantial portion of their business by just a few negative posts.

5. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Thanks Mike, Nick and Gerald for the help. If I get one I'm going with the Kirk. Has anyone made this modification to their tripod and regretted it? If so, why?
    Other than the money is there a downside to this? Thanks again.

6. No - downside. The downside IMO is the use of a center column. Raising a column more than a few inches turns a 3-legged support into a one-legged support. Might as well use a monopod.

7. The neat thing about the Kirk tripod base is you can always remove it and return to the way it was originally. I have also added a set of Markins retractable spikes--now that was a permanent change. I had to rip off the OEM rubber caps and epoxy on the spikes. Went very smoothly, and I have never regretted it on bit.

8. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Great information - thanks everyone. Sounds like I'll be ordering one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.