1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Experiences with a camera repairman in NC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MountainMan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. I’ve mentioned the following problem earlier, in some forums, without finding a solution but will repeat it in case someone now can come up with a bright idea about how to handle this situation. Allow me to explain:
    As some of you will know, some of the older, manual Nikkor lenses may be furnished with a chip to allow metering on newer cameras. On basis of a recommendation from a wellknown Norwegian nature photographer I sent two of my lenses to a bloke in N.Carolina who’s offering this service. I heard from him after about three months when he informed me that he was lacking parts for one of the lenses. Months passed, I inquired time after time via e-mail but never got an answer. After a rather heated mail to him he finally responded with the following: “Thank you for mailing that letter. I had shipped those lenses some time ago and they were sent back to me and now I know where to mail them to.” This was received July 6. last year but (not to my surprise) without reaction or response since then.
    Today is exactly 3 –THREE- years since my lenses were sent, and I’m going to do exactly as I “promised”, publish his name, NOT to call for a boycott (no way) but to tell others to be careful if they make use of his services:
    ROLLAND ELLIOTT – based in Charlotte, North Carolina. He runs a wedding photo business there beside this lens modification job.

I can possibly afford to lose those lenses, a 50-135mm 3.5 zoom and a 400mm 5.6, but there are some principles here; no one should get away with acts like this. Besides, he charged me over 180 bucks for the upgradings.

Questions to you guys “over there”:
    * Do you think NC police would contact this bloke if my local police office sent them the necessary info ?
    * Could someone please supply me with the address, e-mail address, fax/phone number to the police dep. in Charlotte, NC ?
    * My spoken English is such that I see no point in calling the guy but if a brave soul over there would like to try, the number is 1-877-274-4830. I’ll cover the expenses.
    The lens numbers are: Nikkor Zoom: 837890. Tokina 400mm: 7903907.

Thank you in advance. Really appreciate it if someone could contribute to finding a solution to this.

Regards,
    Arne

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  2. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
  3. Arne, please see my pm.

Thanks, Rich

4. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    Well that post just saved me a tank of gas. I had some glass that I was going to take up there and stop by and look up a few old friends that I went to school with.

5. Demand a refund and the cost of the lenses within 30 days. If he doesn't pony up the money, sue him in small claims court for all of your loss plus attorney fees. Contact the NC Bar Association and they will give you the name of a lawyer in Charlotte who will take the case.

Charlotte police dept

But considering the time that's passed, you may not have a case.

6. Go anyway. Take a baseball bat and see if you can get this guy's lenses.

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Arne is in Norway, small claims court isn't an option. I saw this scenario on a hunting forum, and a member who was a police officer in a nearby town drove over, visited with the local police, and they paid the dealer a visit. He promptly settled the deal.

8. It doesn't matter where he is. If he has a local attorney who's willing to take the case, he can represent him in court. Usually what happens is if he gets served with the papers he'll settle out of court.

Oh, and Arne... on behalf of my fellow North Carolinians please accept my apologies for what's happened to you.

9. In MA, part of "small claims court" is specifically that no lawyers are allowed. Don't know if that differs for NC or not.

I do think a visit from the Charlotte PD may help. :smile:

10. Arne, looks like you came to the right place at last. Lots of very helpful folks here, I'd say!

Rich

11. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Attorneys are allowed in MA small claims, they aren't required, but they are allowed.
    They are also allowed in small claims in North Carolina.

12. I would think that the USPS postal inspectors would be very helpful in this case if any of the transaction was done by mail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.