Experiences with non warranty repair

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by VOLKeith, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I would like to here peoples experiences with non-warranty repairs to nikon lenses.

Who did you use?
    What lens and what was the problem?
    Turn around time?
    How much did it cost?
    Satisfied?

thanks

2. I had two lenses that didn't focus to infinity.

I bought a 135/f2 AIS from KEH, and it missed focusing to infinity by a small but significant margin. It would focus to 100 feet without problems, but infinity was blurry no matter what. Since I bought it from them, I asked them to fix it - they did, in about a week and a half, for no cost to me.

After that, I got a 35/f1.4 AIS privately, knowing that it also did not focus to infinity. (The price was more than fair when accounting for the rough condition.) However, we knew this time that there was something wrong in the helicoid, and moreover we also knew that there was an element loose somewhere inside, plus it had had a very hard life and needed a general CLA. For $78, KEH got the 35/f1.4 into fine usable shape, and it certainly did not take very long - a week or maybe ten days (counting shipping at least one way), but far less than the three weeks+ that they promised. I certainly have no qualms about sending other stuff to them. In fact, I probably will send in my FA shortly as it has some electrical trouble that I'm sure Nikon/Melville won't touch with a bargepole.

3. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had some very good experiences with KEH's repair shop. They've CLA'd/re-foamed my Nikkormat, replaced the barrel on my 28-70, and slicked up the focusing on my 55/2.8 Micro when it was so stiff you could hardly turn the focus ring.

All at reasonable prices and a quick turnaround, less than a week in all cases.

You can get an online quote from them on their website, too.

Bill

4. Rockdog

Rockdog

Jan 28, 2006
    Canmore, Canada
    Had the front element replaced on my 20mm lens. Took a thousand foot tumble and the uv filter shattered causing the front element to get scratched up as well as filling the lens barrel with glass dust. I think it was around 170 Canadian and three weeks turn around. Yes I was pleased, lens looked new again.

5. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    KEH was faboulous

fixing the rocker switch on my D1H. I got the camera back in two weeks and they did it for free as a nice gesture. Recommend KEH highly....