Experiment with 500D and 70-200VR

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PEPPER PETE, Dec 24, 2005.

1. I need help, I've been wanting to take pictures of water drops and this is a couple of my experiment. Would like some feed back from all of you to give me some pointers on different ways to try. Hope you like my first attempt at water drops.

49220655-L.

49221161-L.

49221159-L.
    Pete

2. I think they are quite nice Pete. I couldn't begin to give you tips on how to as this is still on my list of to do's.

3. Thanks Gordon, I'm going to try some different ways. Hope they work out.
    Pete

4. Very nice, Pete.

Now I have to add another thing to my 'to try' list :smile:

5. Thank you Phil. After taking these photos I started thinking of different ways to photograpg water drops and some of the ideas I'm going to try out as soon as the busy Holidays are over. I hope you can get to your "try list":smile:

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Very nice - I like #1 and #2. I never shot water drops this way.

I feel that the vivid colors are in some way competing with the water drop(s). It makes it quite different from other pictures on the theme.

7. Cool!!!

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  9. Thank you Heiko. I took a few more without as much of the color in the photo that you mentioned might be competing with the drops. Let me know what you think. I'll post a couple.

Pete

10. Thanks Gale, I looked at the link you posted about Google and it was interesting. I took a few more with out all the color as these ones. Hope you like. I'll post them in another Thread.
    Pete

11. Hey Dave Watts, the water was cool. LOL
    Pete

12. Pretty cool shots.

I have not tried water but, did do a similar thing with milk. Some shots are posted in this forum.

I used a remote shutter release and tripod and just had lots of misses and a few hits. I also tried "Trap Focus" but could never get the camera to trigger on the drop. I have been meaning to try again. There are some gizmo's that you can buy to increase your odds of capturing such shots. They basically use different kinds of sensors and trigger your camera. I thought about buying one and if I recall you would need to spend at least a couple hundred dollars or more to buy the device and some sensors. I will have to try water drops.

Here are a few shots of milk I did awhile back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/photobymark/sets/651657/

13. Hi Mark, I did look at the milk drops you did and I liked them. I'm not sure about the sensor/devices for a couple hundred, I can do without. Post some water drops when you have a chance.
    Pete

14. Gster

Gster Guest

Hello Pete,

I have been experimenting with this for the past few days. The best method is to use a dark, reflective dish (preferably square/rectangular as this reduces reflection from the flash). I filled this with water and placed it on the kitchen bench (if you want to add a splash of colour then place some brightly coloured paper behind the dish. Next I attached a syringe to the cupboard door above and with camera on tripod (90mm macro, f32, ISO 800, flash sync 1/200) I operated the syringe with one hand and the shutter with the other. To focus I attached a small weight to a thread and dangled this from the same cupboard door, set the focus manually. That's it really, it's not really diffucult to catch the drop when it hits the water.:smile:

Tip: for a better effect make sure the lights are low, use a dark background and put milk in the syringe. It looks great. :biggrin:

I would post some examples but I have no idea how. I could e-mail some plus photos of the set up if you like.

Cheers, Gareth.

15. Hi Gareth, my set-up is very much like the one you have. I use a syringe and hang it also from the over the counter top dish and cupboard. I focused by floating a small item where the drops were hitting and it seems to work for me. I also took some more without the bright colors and by mistake I posted them in the Bird/Animal gallery. Please take a look and let me know what you think of them. I'll have to try the milk in the syringe tip you mentioned. Thanks.
    Pete