exposing panoramic shots ...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by bkaushik, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Hi everybody,

I tried taking several frames (keeping the aperture constant) and then stitching them into a panoramic image but had tough time with the exposure of each frame differing from the other.
    Can anybody give me tips to overcome this problem; tips while shooting & while post processing ... ?

Regards,

2. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    You need to shoot on manual exposure. Pick the brightest portion of the panorama, and expose for that. Keep the exposure constant; some images will show that they are underexposed on your meter, but that's OK. It's the only way you will get the exposures to match when you stitch them together.

3. Also, dont use auto white balance.

4. I wonder if we could put together a panorama tutorial:
    1 - Favorite lenses for panoramas
    2 - Building or buying a panorama head
    3 - Calculating the nodal point and set up
    4 - making the exposures
    5 - Post-processing

Mods? ... yer thoughts

5. If you use PTGui, it will adjust the exposure, horizon, etc automatically for you. Great program - HIGHLY recommend it if you want to do panos. All my Utah panos were shot handheld with auto exposure.

6. PSCS3 also now merges all exposures. But do it right in camera and shoot manual as has been described will give you the best results.

7. Mike,
    This could certainly be a very useful tutorial indeed. I am not familiar with the Tutiki process but I will bring this up amongst the team. Are you in a position to put together the basic of the tute?
    Dave

8. Yes - I am setting up to do panoramas myself and find that preparation and equipment are as important to the process as exposure, software, and processing.

If the membership would help me assemble material relevant to all aspects of panoramas I can put together a tutorial easily. One of the things I do in my work is build high tech training systems for sophisticated hardware/software systems. This would be cake and I'd be pleased to do it. I just need help with the research via input from the membership.

9. Mike,
    Let me see what is the best way to proceed. I will get back with you. Perhaps we can start a collection/discussion thread and then gleem from that?
    Dave

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I would like to get into panos - I have been looking for some good used RRS pano equipment. I realize it is a lot more than having good pano eqipment and just taking pictures. I have gotten several pointers already from this thread.

I agree a tutorial on panos would be great.

12. thank you everybody for useful inputs. i shall experiment with them and post some pics soon.
    meanwhile, the tutorial idea would be simply great if implemented. am really looking forward to it....

rgds,

13. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Another good point to include in such a tutorial would be the various available stitching programs. I know it would be a pain, but from what I've gleaned, stitchers are just like everything else, you need more than one, if you're serious. I have PTgui and the free one (sorry forgot the name :redface:) but have plans to buy another because the differences in scenes can dictate which stitcher will produce best results.

I am a relative newbie to panos, but I'd be happy to help with providing whatever assistance that I can. :smile:

14. Kerry
    Great points! I will try and assemble a thread later today to start organizing our thoughts towards this.
    Going on an all day shoot shortly.
    Dave

15. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    I'm very interested in this thread as I'm about to purchase a new tripod and head. A pano set-up is what I'm hoping for, although I'm very interested to hear about the successes of those who have created great panos shooting hand-held. I've been told that the new PS3 which I'm about to load supposedly does such a fab job at stitching that much of the technique required in the past for panos isn't as vital as it once was.
    I'm looking to gain the knowledge and develop a proper technique with the right gear, so this thread is very welcome!!

16. Kerry, Robert, Dave, Balakumar, et. al -
    I think there are many things we can do with this subject. As I think about the possibilities, a book could be written, but our goal ought to be a useful reference for us as a group and as a public service to photographers.

Subjects I'd be willing to take on (with research help from the membership):
    1 - Lenses.
    - What lenses seem to work well for classic panoramas. As an example, the AF Nikkor 20/2.8 is a very fine very rectilinear lens that would be a fine choice for horizontal or vertical panos.
    - What long lenses might be suitable?
    - Special purpose or creative lenses - fisheye, 12-24 zooms, etc.

2 - Hardware.
    - Tripods and other supports
    - Homemade rigs
    - Commercial heads
    - Other accessories

3 - Exposure and setup
    - Manual exposure v. AF
    - White balance issues
    - Calculating the nodal point
    - Planning the panorama (vertical, horizontal, multi-layer, 360, spherical, etc)
    - Making the exposures
    - Handheld panoramas

4 - Software
    - What's available
    - Reviews of panorama software (Panorama Factory, Photoshop, PTGui, etc)
    - Useful publications

5 - Post-processing
    - processing RAW files for input to panorama software
    - Amount of PP required for a given panorama application

6 - Printing & Display

Other thoughts anyone?

17. I am interested in this too.

But whatever is done, we should try to get Robert (RFCnikon) involved. He produces some spectacular panoramas of NYC scenes using only hand-held shots, I think.

18. Handheld is very attractive to many because of the time and effort it takes to set up gear to do classic panoramas. PTGui does a fine job of producing panoramas from handheld shots too. Still, there are those who want to do it the old way (I'm interested in both) and I hope we can get there with some cooperative guidance from us all.

19. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

20. Couldn't agree more Paul.

Panorama has become a generic term for all kinds of image stiching and I'm not going to propose a different term just yet. You input here is exactly the kind of thing we need for this to be successful. I have stitched together two or three images to produce a better single image similar to blending in PS CS and the results were superb. There are many creative ways to do image stitching and I hope if we can make this project work, many of them will come up and be included.