Exposure compensation through the S lens

I'm finding a number of unexpected conveniences of moving to the Z system and S lenses. Although this feature sounds minor, I find it to be helpful.

As I'm dialing in my exposure, there is a narrow ring on the 14-24 and 24-70 closest to the lens mount. As I dial that back and forth, the exposure compensation moves plus or minus (very smoothly). This is easily done while looking through the electronic viewfinder...and the histogram moves to the left or right depending on how I slide the dial.

I could use the exposure compensation button on the camera along with the dial, but that button is quite small and not nearly as convenient as my left hand is usually resting just under the lens.

Again, it doesn't sound like much, but I'm finding a number of little conveniences in going to mirrorless and the Z lenses--and this is just one more of those.

Glenn

Real Name
Andy
As I dial that back and forth, the exposure compensation moves plus or minus (very smoothly). This is easily done while looking through the electronic viewfinder
Have you tried programming the ring to control ISO instead? In many ways, this gives the same result in Aperture Priority mode with the added benefit of better functionality in Manual (because the ISO value is always visible, while the EV compensation factor disappears beneath it when not actively being changed).

Have you tried programming the ring to control ISO instead? In many ways, this gives the same result in Aperture Priority mode with the added benefit of better functionality in Manual (because the ISO value is always visible, while the EV compensation factor disappears beneath it when not actively being changed).
I haven’t tried that yet. I think that would be beneficial for certain shooting situations.

Glenn

I'm finding a number of unexpected conveniences of moving to the Z system and S lenses. Although this feature sounds minor, I find it to be helpful.

As I'm dialing in my exposure, there is a narrow ring on the 14-24 and 24-70 closest to the lens mount. As I dial that back and forth, the exposure compensation moves plus or minus (very smoothly). This is easily done while looking through the electronic viewfinder...and the histogram moves to the left or right depending on how I slide the dial.

I could use the exposure compensation button on the camera along with the dial, but that button is quite small and not nearly as convenient as my left hand is usually resting just under the lens.

Again, it doesn't sound like much, but I'm finding a number of little conveniences in going to mirrorless and the Z lenses--and this is just one more of those.

Glenn
I have set mine up like that too, I love it, as i use auto ISO (which I also love) i like it set up this way, i just have to learn to be morec careful as i keep knocking it

I have set mine up like that too, I love it, as i use auto ISO (which I also love) i like it set up this way, i just have to learn to be morec careful as i keep knocking it
To nitpick, I wish the dial wasn't as sensitive as it is. With just a slight turn, it slides through the exposure compensation adjustments pretty quickly.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom