Exposure compensation through the S lens

I'm finding a number of unexpected conveniences of moving to the Z system and S lenses. Although this feature sounds minor, I find it to be helpful.

As I'm dialing in my exposure, there is a narrow ring on the 14-24 and 24-70 closest to the lens mount. As I dial that back and forth, the exposure compensation moves plus or minus (very smoothly). This is easily done while looking through the electronic viewfinder...and the histogram moves to the left or right depending on how I slide the dial.

I could use the exposure compensation button on the camera along with the dial, but that button is quite small and not nearly as convenient as my left hand is usually resting just under the lens.

Again, it doesn't sound like much, but I'm finding a number of little conveniences in going to mirrorless and the Z lenses--and this is just one more of those.

Glenn

Real Name
Andy
As I dial that back and forth, the exposure compensation moves plus or minus (very smoothly). This is easily done while looking through the electronic viewfinder
Have you tried programming the ring to control ISO instead? In many ways, this gives the same result in Aperture Priority mode with the added benefit of better functionality in Manual (because the ISO value is always visible, while the EV compensation factor disappears beneath it when not actively being changed).

Have you tried programming the ring to control ISO instead? In many ways, this gives the same result in Aperture Priority mode with the added benefit of better functionality in Manual (because the ISO value is always visible, while the EV compensation factor disappears beneath it when not actively being changed).
I haven’t tried that yet. I think that would be beneficial for certain shooting situations.

Glenn

I'm finding a number of unexpected conveniences of moving to the Z system and S lenses. Although this feature sounds minor, I find it to be helpful.

As I'm dialing in my exposure, there is a narrow ring on the 14-24 and 24-70 closest to the lens mount. As I dial that back and forth, the exposure compensation moves plus or minus (very smoothly). This is easily done while looking through the electronic viewfinder...and the histogram moves to the left or right depending on how I slide the dial.

I could use the exposure compensation button on the camera along with the dial, but that button is quite small and not nearly as convenient as my left hand is usually resting just under the lens.

Again, it doesn't sound like much, but I'm finding a number of little conveniences in going to mirrorless and the Z lenses--and this is just one more of those.

Glenn
I have set mine up like that too, I love it, as i use auto ISO (which I also love) i like it set up this way, i just have to learn to be morec careful as i keep knocking it

I have set mine up like that too, I love it, as i use auto ISO (which I also love) i like it set up this way, i just have to learn to be morec careful as i keep knocking it
To nitpick, I wish the dial wasn't as sensitive as it is. With just a slight turn, it slides through the exposure compensation adjustments pretty quickly.

Glenn

I'm far too much of a klutz and insufficiently aware of tactile differences to be able to single out that tiny part of the lens barrel; I would surely accidentally turn the focusing ring. Even if I did somehow magically become adept at using that capability, I would forget that my Nikkor 70-300mm lens (not an S lens) doesn't have it.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Great tip, Glenn! For architecture and most landscapes, I leave the ISO set at the lowest setting, but almost always have to adjust exposure compensation depending on the subject and lighting.

How about some more differences between mirrorless and DSLR?

Last edited:
Great tip, Glenn! For architecture and most landscapes, I leave the ISO set at the lowest setting, but almost always have to adjust exposure compensation depending on the subject and lighting.

How about some more differences between mirrorless and DSLR?
Most of the differences favor mirrorless for my photography. Here are some of the differences I am experiencing:
  • Camera and lenses are smaller and lighter--especially since I no longer need the vertical grip as the frame rate remains the same with or without that.
  • For long exposures, I can dial in shutter speeds of more than 30 seconds. No more setting timers on the phone and manually ending the exposure.
  • For long exposures, I can see through the 16 stop ND filter with the electronic viewfinder. This, along with the ability to dial in long shutter speeds, greatly simplifies long exposure photography!
  • The filter system for the new 14-24 S is far more convenient (and smaller) than the one for the 14-24 F mount.
  • No need for a Hoodman loupe any longer! I can review playback images through the viewfinder.
  • Having the histogram (and what you see is what you get) right in the viewfinder is a huge plus.
  • The biggest advantage is the use of the new S lenses. The 24-70 2.8, in particular, is super sharp. The 14-24 2.8 is, too. As good as the previous lenses were, these are a step up.
  • Having in camera stabilization will be a benefit is places where tripods aren't permitted.
  • The FTZ adaptor is useful...I keep it attached to my 70-200 F mount lens so that my Holy Trinity of lenses is ready to go without any additional steps. But, the FTZ works with all my other F lenses, including the Sigma fisheye.
These are some of the things I've noticed so far.

Glenn

Most of the differences favor mirrorless for my photography. Here are some of the differences I am experiencing:
  • Camera and lenses are smaller and lighter--especially since I no longer need the vertical grip as the frame rate remains the same with or without that.
  • For long exposures, I can dial in shutter speeds of more than 30 seconds. No more setting timers on the phone and manually ending the exposure.
  • For long exposures, I can see through the 16 stop ND filter with the electronic viewfinder. This, along with the ability to dial in long shutter speeds, greatly simplifies long exposure photography!
  • The filter system for the new 14-24 S is far more convenient (and smaller) than the one for the 14-24 F mount.
  • No need for a Hoodman loupe any longer! I can review playback images through the viewfinder.
  • Having the histogram (and what you see is what you get) right in the viewfinder is a huge plus.
  • The biggest advantage is the use of the new S lenses. The 24-70 2.8, in particular, is super sharp. The 14-24 2.8 is, too. As good as the previous lenses were, these are a step up.
  • Having in camera stabilization will be a benefit is places where tripods aren't permitted.
  • The FTZ adaptor is useful...I keep it attached to my 70-200 F mount lens so that my Holy Trinity of lenses is ready to go without any additional steps. But, the FTZ works with all my other F lenses, including the Sigma fisheye.

Glenn
That is a very compelling list. I am keeping my D850 and core 2.8 and long lenses for action..but its posts like these make me think about selling and moving on to the 7 II to go with my 6 II. Or just be patient on an action Z series body.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

Glenn
Thanks so much, Glenn. I think July will be an expensive month for me......due to future expenditures! LOL!

That is a very compelling list. I am keeping my D850 and core 2.8 and long lenses for action..but its posts like these make me think about selling and moving on to the 7 II to go with my 6 II. Or just be patient on an action Z series body.

I found "normal" and sports/action very different.
My Olympus EM1 worked perfectly fine for normal stuff and on vacation, but fell flat on it's face for sports action.
The EM1-mk2 fixed most of the problems that I had with the EM1-mk1 shooting sports. But it isn't quite there yet.​
So even though the Z7 is on the mk2 version, I would be somewhat careful, if action shooting is important to you.

A problem is that the problems that I had shooting sports, while easy to see on the field or in the gym, are hard to duplicate/see in the store.
So, I would try renting a Z7-II, to test it out, and see if it meets your needs.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Don't you want to wait for a Z9?
Absolutely. I will wait for the next generations....... But for architecture, landscapes and travel, I feel Nikon can catch up.

For all my wildlife shooting.....the jury is still out.

I kept my D850 and all of my long lenses. The D850 is superior to the Z7ii for action so far. Most of my shooting is architecture, landscapes and nature…and the Z7ii excels there. My long term plan is to purchase the next generation of mirrorless once action is on par with D850 and then sell my D850. Then, I will be all mirrorless. Might take me a year or two, but at least I am already in transition mode!

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Absolutely. I will wait for the next generations....... But for architecture, landscapes and travel, I feel Nikon can catch up.

For all my wildlife shooting.....the jury is still out.
Well........for architecture, travel, landscape I'm thinking the Z7 II is the way to go. I don't expect many Z9's to be available until late 2022, and the Z9 might be a replacement for my D5 wildlife camera. So, I AM considering the Z II in the next 6 months. Does Nikon typically have sales in Nov/Dec time frame?

Well........for architecture, travel, landscape I'm thinking the Z7 II is the way to go. I don't expect many Z9's to be available until late 2022, and the Z9 might be a replacement for my D5 wildlife camera. So, I AM considering the Z II in the next 6 months. Does Nikon typically have sales in Nov/Dec time frame?
I agree this is the way to go for landscape and architecture. Good plan.

Hopefully, the supply chain will ease up to allow for more products.....but you could always think about trade-in gear to offset. I sold my 105 macro, 14-24 and 24-70 as I am gradually going over to Z mounts. At some point the drop off price curve will steepen.

Latest threads

Top Bottom