Exposure Manager - Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GBRandy, Jun 4, 2007.

1. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Have any of you worked with Exposure Manager for your photo sales site? I need something and Smugmug isn't for me. I have looked at Printroom, but like the stupid simple layout of Exposure Manager. https://www.exposuremanager.com/

I smashed something together over the weekend as I am on their 15 day trial program...You can modify it quite a bit, and what i did is pretty much the default settings...the testing site I did is here:

Anyone have any experience with this group?
  2. jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hey Randy

I've used Exposure Manager for the past two years and I've been pretty happy with their services. They're always quick to answer my questions and on time when they mail my checks.

No problems from me. Here's my site if that helps:

3. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    That's good to hear.....have you ever actually TALKED to anyone there? I can not find a number or location. That worries me a little.

Cool site BTW.
  4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Interesting looking site. I too, like the simplicity, but I am also a little troubled by the lack of a phone number and location. Another thing that I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be any way to simply browse the site from the main page. That would not give you any drive-by sales like you can get from smugmug.

I don't understand the differentiation that they make with fine art vs event type galleries either. I plan to have both. Well, calling my stuff "fine art" might be a bit of a stretch, but still there's no accounting for the taste that some folks have.....:tongue:
  6. Not sure I follow you. Are you referring to when a visitor comes to your Main Gallery, they would want to see all the images/products available? I don't *think* there's a way to have this, I think it would look as I have here, might be worth asking them; give their Support a trial, see how responsive they are. I found no difference in their responsiveness during my trial and actual use as a customers -- there's wasn't a "demo" during the trial. :rolleyes:
  7. kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    For these online sales sites, do you have to submit images "pre-cropped" into the various format sizes or will the customer be able to preview and adjust?

I've ordered prints from all of the major suppliers (shutterfly, ofoto, snapfish, vistaprint, etc) and they all allow you to view the cropped image prior to finalizing.

8. Randy, I'm interested in why SM was not for you...

I looked at your site, and it looks nice...but I have the same question as Kevin above...I added a pic that was clearly not an 8x10 crop to my cart as an 8x10...there was no way to crop it for 8x10...how do you make sure that the pictures that people get don't get cropped incorrectly?
  9. I am curious as well. I compared both, and don't see major differences.
  10. not 100% certain, in the workflow I use, which is "for display only", I upload a pic at low level (72 dpi, 800px longest side) typically cropped for an 8x12, also very quick PP, usually (gasp) autofix'd.

Then, when they place an order, I go back in and do 'custom' prep -- crop to their requested size and do a diligent job on the PP.

The "print ready" workflow option may allow them to pick and choose, but I haven't used this.

(this is for ExposureManager)
  11. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I dunno....the SmugMug layout never really worked for me. The layout seems overly clumsy. The thumbnails load slow. The thumbnails next to the main image take up quite a bit of real estate. I guess my primary complaint is the process to purchase. It simply is too goofy, I have to add to the cart, click back (where did it go?) This clicking back process is not very streamlined and potentially confusing.

I also find the little thumbs up / thumbs down thing a waste of time for my objective. I find that fly in window silly and the selection of different photo sizes potentially confusing to someone trying to buy a photo and is not photo site savvy.

My attempt is to make this stone dead simple. Many of these parents do not have a lightning fast computer or a big monitor. I want them to look at picture, say "cool" and buy it right there. Then they move to the next one....simple. I control the display size. Period. I don't need any of that other stuff....I am not making this site for me...it is for parents to buy photos, nothing more.

I want super simple access, easy viewing, quick loads, and easy print selections....with the purchase options, costs and tool to make their selection right in front of them while looking at the shot. SM doesn't do that for me.
  12. Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    I've been with Smugmug now for 2 years...they're good and they've always answered my questions very quickly. Whenver they're going to do maintance...they send you an e-mail letting you know. However it's never effected my webpage.

The only down fall is they are $50.00 more than EM.
  13. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    See quote above about SM.

I guess the easy answer, is I do not add pictures to my site that can not be cropped to 8 x 10 if I offer them the print option :wink:

Unless I have selected a special crop, I use the constrain sizes crop tool in Aperture to hold my crops to 4 x 6....I can clean up a 4 x 6 to an 8 x 10 easy enough.

The process in EM is different than SM.

First, I set what sizes the customers can buy.

Second, I load low res, display only shots. I can run out 500 shots in a heartbeat....I like that. If an order is placed for one, obviously the file size necessary to print it is not on the site. I get an e-mail with the file number and a request to upload the proper file size. At this point, I can really give that picture some attention and then upload it.

Overall this flow speeds things up and prevents me from spending PP time on shots that no one wants. I do a quick once over, crop and post.....orders come in and I clean up that particular shot and send it in for print...done.

I am still on the trial period and am not married to Exposure Manager. I am waiting on some prints I bought from my own site (of my own work!) to come back so I can see the quality...the process to get to this point has been acceptable.

By the way, I have an FTP plug in for aperture. I took 450 shots from Sat softball. I ran through them and cropped what i thought were decent shots and rated it. I selected the single star rating and then uploaded the lot to EM direct from Aperture. I think I saw a similar plug-in being developed for SM.
  14. BTW, EM has a competitive chart, of course take it w/ the proverbial grain of salt given the source, but I found it fairly accurate.
  15. kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    I think I found my answer on the competitive chart:
    Upload and optimize...2
    2 - This allows you to upload a different file for a 4x6 than an 8x10, therefore always ensuring the optimum crop
  16. Fair enough, many of the things you mention as annoying can be fixed with SM. I will elaborate, not to change your mind but just for general public information. Like removal of the thumbs up and down, and the size of display and layout of thumbnails. I can choose and lock in the layout I want, as opposed to veiwer control. The shopping cart is a bit clumsy and hitting the back button as a way out is silly. You do have controll over what items (sizes) a person can purchase, just enter a 0 (not blank) in the price and it becomes unavailable. Again a bit more cumbersome than just picking some sizes to begin with. SM does offer a print delay with email notification to allow you to load a retouched photo for printing. It's an option you will find in the control panel. As to thumbnail loading they have improved it quite a bit but your right it's not exactly lightning fast.

If EM works better for you then by all means use it. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
  17. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I was asked for my opinion by two people. I provided it...sorry if I offended....but I am good at that sometimes....no offense to current SM users intended.

For my very basic objective "sell a photo", the SM interface detracts from my intentions. I bet it great for less focused objectives...
  18. Not offended at all! :smile:In fact I asked for your opionion and got it. I was not really trying to defend smugmug, I have no personal stake in them. I was just offering information. Your responce about the interface of SM versus EM was clear and made plenty of sense.

Anyway if I came off as offended, I really did not mean to.
  19. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    It's all good! I can never tell so I thought I'd just explain why I posted my response. It's hard to tell in e-mails & forum text exactly where people are coming from...know what I mean?

Lots of people love SM and it is a well respected photo sharing option....
  20. Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Randy - what is ftp plug-in for Aperture?