Exposure reading thru viewfinder

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by equetefue, Nov 17, 2005.

1. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    If i set the exposure to "0" in the electronic analog compensation indicator why is it that if I open the flash the exposure all of a sudden shows a negative exposure ?
    I mean if Is already set at "0", adding the flash won't that make it positive instead of negative ?

what am I missing here ?:confused:

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Can you supply some more info? What mode are you shooting in, how do you have the flash set up? Are you using slow/rear curtain sync? What shutter speeds are displayed when this is happening? There are lots of variables that can affect this, it helps to eliminate as many as possible.
    (My guess is that you are in manual exp, and the shutter speed without flash is low, when you pop up the flash, the shutter speed defaults to 1/60, which would show as a low reading, based on the light that the meter sees at that time. The meter does not consider the light from the flash until it goes off.)

3. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    manual mode, but the shutter remains the same as it was before. So after I pop the flash I have to slow down my shutter time or increase my ISO to get a "0" exposure level.

4. I have this same problem too. I am waiting for some more answers on this one too. I use the SB800.

5. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    I don't have a D70 (s or otherwise) so I'm not sure about that, but with the D2x in Manual mode, if you set exposure so the meter reads zero and turn on the flash the meter should not move.

Meslissa can you tell me more about your camera settings when you experience the problem?

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    weird... and obvoiusly i'm not the only one with the problem. It meters "zero" till I pop-open the flash

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    My experience is that the "analog" meter completely ignores flash, it's strictly metering the ambient exposure. For instance if you are shooting indoors with the flash as primary light source and you set a manual exposure of 1/125 @ f/5.6 the meter will likely show an underexposure of several stops; but when the exposure actually occurs the meter will control the flash output to give you a "correct" exposure (taking into account any FEV compensation, of course).

This behavior is particularly useful for fill flash, because you can set the ambient exposure how you want it (say, slightly underexposing the background) and then use the flash to fill in so that you get a properly exposed subject and a slightly underexposed background.

10. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    well that kinda makes sense but why does the reading changes automatically as you pop-open the flash ?

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    For me, it doesn't. At least I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I don't know how to explain that behavior since it really doesn't make much sense. I'll double-check when I get home from work today.

12. Randall...I see only a slight difference in change of aperture. Bear in mind, I use the SB800. I am still checking other flash settings.

13. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    hmmm...
    I use an SB-800/D2x as well. If I place the camera in M and meter a scene with the flash turned off so that the analog exposure meter reads zero, then turn on the flash, nothing changes. The exposure values stay the same, and the meter does not move.

The only time any exposure settings (apeture/shutter/meter) should change when you power on the flash is if you are in "A", "P', or "S" mode.

14. For those who have the "problem", is your camera stationary, on a tripod, when you pop the flash open? Is the zoom level unchanged? It's easy to point the camera slightly differently or frame the scene a bit tighter or further, and those things will affect the exposure! Just checking...

15. marc

marc Guest

if you zoom, refocus or even shift focus slightly, then settings can change, the camera and af system are very sensitive

that is why it is a great camera and at the same time can be difficult to use.

you need to set metering just before you are ready to shoot and keep your settings constant

16. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    Lets say that I'm set at 1/25 at f/3.5 - "0" exposure; as soon as you pop the flash open it changes from "zero" exposure to negative. If I close the flash then it goes back to "zero" exposure.

17. myBest

myBest

May 15, 2005
    Malaysia
    Hi all!
    This is my 1st post.
    For D70/s, CSM05 ISO auto OFF and try again. (this is for equetefue)
    For D2X, ISO auto implementation is slightly different.
    Hope this helps.
    myBest
    [from Penang, Malaysia]

18. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL

WOW... your first post eh ? you need to stick around cause you fixed my problem !!!!

hooray !

19. myBest

myBest

May 15, 2005
    Malaysia
    Glad to be of help... guess I'm just lucky.
    I do hang around here in silence. This is a cosy place.