Exp's way off, WB sucks, lotsa noise, but...

Discussion in 'People' started by Clivegriff, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ...the parents of these children think it's one of the best pictures they've ever seen!

original.

Taken by my youngest son at a fair / firework display in the Asda (that's Walmart on t'other side of the Pond) carpark with the POS (er...sorry...P&S) camera built-in to his mobile phone.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well Clive...if someone voices their opinion that they like the image, bad exposure and WB, then that's all that counts I guess. That may not be an image that would win some elite prize, but even something that hits off the target can be appreciated by some.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Clive,
    Take that image over to the retouching forum on DPR,
    They will fix it right up for ya :>)))))

That noise and such can sure be fixed... Good shot of the kids.

5. Hi i did some fast post processing on this so cute photo. I like the image alot because of how the two children look. You must be a proud grandfather. I hope you don't mind that i edited the photo alittle bit. I did some noise removal and some levels and curves. And get rid of some highlights. It is far from perfect but still the photo is great.

[​IMG]

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

6. Hi Vincebeus.

Yes, I am a proud grandfather.

And, no, I don't mind you editing the photo.

In fact, I'm grateful that you took the time to improve the image.

7. I agree, Frank.

I think the eye of the purist and the eye of the parent are two entirely different things.

8. I agree with Gale, or maybe even post it here in our Retouching Forum to see what ideas you get. It looks like a good candidate for a painterly effect: watercolor, oil, smudge, etc. The expressions on their faces are great!!

9. Thanks, Gale.

But Vincebeus has already made a pretty good job and I'm gonna "attack" it myself as soon as I get time. :wink:

10. Hi Kevin.

I think it's that very fact which makes the photograph intrinsically valuable even though it's technically terrible!

:smile:

11. No wonder the parents like it, the scene and expressions are great. Were this my photo I would leave the grain, convert it to B&W and go with the old time photo theme.

12. That's a good idea, Gordon.

It's nearly bedtime here, and I'm bushed, but tomorrow... PSCS here I come!

13. This image is appealing so much because this really the right moment and right time to push that button to make the photo. This is one of these photo's that even you had more grain or even worser colour screw ups. It can't ruin the photo. The pure energy and joy is coming off the screen because of that photo. So as parent when you look at that photo it is allways making you happy for sure. So i understand that this photo is a keeper for sure.

OH AND PLEASE.... Don't post it at the DPreview site else there will become big wars because this photo is taken with a Nokia camera of a mobile phone. So then everybody wants a Nikon mobile phone with 1.3 megapixel camera.

And you will get all kind off posts like when does the first DSLR Phone Camera come out from Nikon or Canon. HeHe :tongue: :biggrin:

Greetings,
    Vince

14. That, Vince, is exactly the point I was trying to make but you have expressed it so much better.

I think sometimes we, as photographers, see and worry about things (blown highlights, off WB, colour casts etc) that the average "man in the street" neither sees nor cares about.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just a note.

The Retouching forum DOES NOT CARE WHAT KIND OF CAMERA YOU USE.....!!!!!!!!!!!
    There are no wars at retouching. Good kind and talented people frequent that forum..
    Cheers