Extended Warranty for 199$

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, May 4, 2005.

1. I'm getting my D2X on friday. I was asked if I need / want additional 3 year warranty. Would you recommend one ?

2. Does it cover things like accidental breakage? Also do you have insurance for your equipment?

3. Who's the warranty offered through? (Nikon, Mack, dealer) What specifics does it cover? Who does the warranty work?

Brian

4. This is a 3-year MACK warranty

5. Well, they certainly are expensive little beasties to repair. I had my 990 in a few times for switch, motherboard etc. The 5700 needed focus fixing, and a a new CCD (but still under warranty today thanks to my extended warranty). I'd highly recommend an extended warranty, but only on cameras. Anything else like DVD players, TVs etc, it's a mug's game.

6. I'm unfamiliar with US consumer law, but in the UK extended warranties are generally just a con.

UK Consumer law states that -
    If you buy an item and it breaks (or fails) in an unreasonably short period of time i.e. substantially less than the expected life of the item - then that item is considered to be deffective and it's the responsibility of the selling store to replace it.

The general cost of the item and the reliability of the manufacturer is taken to be an indication of the item's lifepsan; but this may extend as long as five years after purchase and is generally considered to be at least three years for expensive technical gear.

7. I've heard good things about Mack warranties. Given the cost of the camera and potential repairs, it might be a good deal. Another thing to think about is how long do you plan to keep the camera. If you're like the rest of us, you can't imagine anything better than this one... then another one comes along and you're hooked. :wink:

Ask if the warranty is transferrable and what the fee is to transfer. I think Mack warranties are transferrable.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Brian

8. I definitely think the warranty is a necessity. I purchased mine through Nikon for 2 or 3 years. I can't remember at the moment. It cost a lot but Mack wouldn't sell me a warranty since I live in the US and purchased my X in Canada.

I have a big relief on my mind knowing that I have this warranty. My gosh I can't imagine how much a new sensor would cost if I had to pay for it. I also have insurance on it to in case I drop it or stolen. Another piece of mind.