Extension tube question.

I am considering extension tubes for some macro use. I have several long lenses that would probably work well as macro lenses.
I have the

Nikkor 180 f.28
Tokina 50-135 f2.8
Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 VC DI

I am leaning towards the Kenko products, but I see that kenko also sells a few "individual" tubes in 12mm and 25mm.

I suppose my question for discussion is....
Should I go for the 3 tube set, or just a 12mm tube to use with my telephoto lenses ?

I suggest you forget using extension tubes with zooms and use the 180mm.

The 180mm will close focus to give you about 0.15x magnification (1:6.6). So, there is about 27.3mm of built-in focus extension. If you add the Nikon PN11 ring, 52.5mm, you can get to about 0.4x lifesize*. Is this what you mean by "macro" or are you simply looking at "close-up"? If so, get the PK13 ring (27.5mm).

IMO you do not need auto extension tubes, use manual exposure and of course manual focus. I use a focus rail with the PN11 ring.

Peter

* (27.3 + 52.5)/180 = 0.44

Edit: I have no idea what filter size your zooms are, but if you want to use them in "macro" I suggest getting a suitable Canon 500D close-up lens, 72mm or 77mm whichever fits closest

Thank you for the link. I qas looking for close focus rather than a true macro. It seems this ay juat fit the criteria. It is also a lot less expensive than buying a long macro lens in the 150~180 range.

It is also a lot less expensive than buying a long macro lens in the 150~180 range.

But you would need 180mm of extension tubes to get 1:1 with your 180mm 2.8.

Here (Pro Optic) is a cheaper AF + exposure alternative to the Kenko brands, has anyone used these before?

There is plenty of cheap extension tubes available for Nikon mount, what does the Nikon brand offer over third-party? Build quality?

I ended up picking up a cheap Promaster 1.7X converter that is chipped and will autofocus. I'm just going to remove the glass elements and use try it as an extension tube. I paid all of $15.00
Seems like a cheap way to experiment with extension tube use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom