1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Extension tubes with what lenses?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by archangel, Jul 4, 2008.

1. archangel

archangel

Apr 15, 2008
    ny
    Hi everyone, i been sinking deeper and deeper into NAS.

i got my 80-200mm 2.8 push/pull yesterday and then a few hours later ordered a promaster extensiont tube(same as kenko). they will AF.

I have these lenses (so far): 80-200mm 2.8, 85mm 1.4, 50mm 1.8, 55-200mm VR. (my widest is my 50mm, hmm.. have to do something about that)

Which lenses out of the ones i have is a good combo with the promaster set? Its the 3 piece set same as kenko.. i would love to try the 80-200mm but would it be too heavy to support the weight of the lens? or is the 50mm better for this since it focus much closer?

:biggrin:

2. Depends on what you want to use the tubes for. I use tubes on my 500mm to get a "macro" lens for serious working distance around dragonflies. A 200mm macro requires that you get within 18-24 inches to fill the frame, and that's just too close for most of them. By comparison, a 500mm lets me get about the same image but from five feet. But I'd worry about the heavy 80-200/f2.8 on the Kenko tubes - those are not the most solid things I've seen.

3. archangel

archangel

Apr 15, 2008
    ny
    i am into the bugs but i do like flowers and other macro. not sure what i really like since i never had a macro anything.. but now flowers seems very interesting. :)  any recommendations?

4. Well, since you have the tubes, try 'em and see what you like. Not every lens is comfortable at its closest focusing distance, so try more than one of the tubes. The most interesting thing will be to see what FOV you prefer. I prefer pretty long lenses and narrow FOV, even for flowers. In particular, try them on your 55-200.

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

there are alot of shooters in the macro forum using the kenkos w/ the 300/4, so he should be fine

6. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    The 300/4 can really benefit from the tubes. There have been many times that I needed to focus closer than the lens allowed. In addition, my 300 is sharper than my 80-200, so it gets used more "up close".

7. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i have kenkos coming next week
    how much closer can they get you on the 300/4 ?
    I think min distance is like 7' w/o them
    have u tried them a TC and the 300/4 ?
    thx

8. McQ67

McQ67 Guest

9. archangel

archangel

Apr 15, 2008
    ny
    i dont have the tubes yet.. they are coming next week..

as im playing with my 80-200 i realise something.. it is one HEAVY piece of equiptment!!! my hands achually hurts after 5 mins.. im not sure if i will keep this lens just bc of its handholdablity. other wise its a beautiful lens!

i will definitly try out all the lenses with the tube and post any decent pics i can get. :) 

:smile:

10. This of course is true, but then again, the 300/f4 has its own tripod collar. The 80-200 push-pull does not, so the entire weight of the (heavy) lens will be trying to pry the tube apart. This is not the same thing as with the 300/f4, which only has to support the weight of the camera. Hmm... maybe you're right. A D2x or D3 weighs not much different than a 300/f4 AFS...

11. The PN-11 (and PK-12 and PK-13) all lose AF since they do not have a screwdriver AF coupler, nor do they have electrical passthrough of any sort. This means that you lose metering too, unless you have a camera capable of metering AI lenses (D200 and up) and you have a lens with an aperture ring.

I use the PN-11 a lot with my longer lenses.

12. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    collar ?
    do u mean if it's used in a tripod ?
    I am going to handhold mine (at 1st anyway)
    The countless reviews I have read say 1 or even 2 tubes stacked are fine but all 3 start to sway but i have never read where they have 'come loose'....time will tell i guess

13. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

some of the best I have ever seen anywhere

14. I've used my Kenko tubes (with the D3) with my 300/4, 105 micro and 85/1.4. I really like what they do for decreasing the minimum focus distance.

Sorry Randy, I am typically not into measuring things (photographically), so I have no idea what the minimum becomes with 300/4 and tubes. :redface:

15. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    me 2 on the measuring but like multiple feet closer ?
    you know how far back you gotta stand w/ just the 300/4....with my eyes i can barely see the bug
    ever try the TC and the 300/4 and a tube or 2

16. Yes, I'm always surprised at the minimum distance on the 300, I think my 80-200 AFS is much closer so this drives me nuts. Hmmmm......I'd guess at least a foot, but not too sure. I remember being fairly happy with the 36mm (or is it 32??), and how close I could get.

I have not tried tubes + TC, may have to do that today. I've got a few flowers that just opened that I'd like to shoot. :smile:

17. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx
    are you gonna visit Daniel Stowe when you are in town ?
    The bugs are rockin there right now and tons of hummers.
    420mm is fine to get some great shots of the hummers as they are used to people

18. Yes, a tripod. You know, the thing with three legs? :wink: I pretty much always use a tripod for macro work. About the only exception is when I'm after butterflies and have a flash.

Yeah, like I said, Jeff and I tried pretty hard to find a problem with all three tubes stacked, but we just couldn't do it. So even though it's a very shaky configuration, all three works fine. But it sure isn't confidence-inspiring. :910:

19. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Randy

My 300 f/4 is the non-AFS left over from my F4 days. I had a set of tubes back then and used them on occasion with this lens. Unfortunately, I can't remember how much closer they could get me. I used the set-up with a cheap Tamron 1.4X to photograph lizards. Worked just fine as my subjects were nearly always in the center of the frame.
    I plan on acquiring the new tubes soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.