1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

External Battery for SB-800....

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by MMarz, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Choices??

Should I look at the Quantum batteries or stick with the Nikon external batteries? I am looking for a faster cycle rate. Small size would be nice!!

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Quantum make a small pack that will practically fit in a shirt pocket.

3. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I've seen this pack John, thanks. I am new to the external pack world and don't know what I don't know. Wondering if there are benefits to going either way...

4. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I found you either love them or hate them. I found them to be heavy and the cord was always in the way.

That said this is the one that I had, The Black Box. I also had his Tuxedo model. They were a package deal when I got them.

I found the Tuxedo to be enough for the bride/groom getting ready and most of the ceremony (depending on the length) and the Black box to easily last the whole reception.

He also has a lot of information on his site.

5. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks David.. I'll check out the links.

For wedding photography I can see the wires and hanging battery being a PITA. I shoot predominantly wildlife..already carrying a ton of gear. And, the sync cord to the bracket mounted flash is already there, so one more is not big deal.

6. Got It

Got It

Jun 22, 2006
    Alberta, Canada
    I have the Nikon SD8a battery pack for my flash wanting the same thing with fast recycle times. I found that the battery pack can recharge a full pop on the SB800 in just over 1 second. Then I ended up getting a great deal on a used Quantum Turbo and had to spend another $50 to buy the cord to connect the two. With that set up, it didn't charge the flash any faster than the SD8a. The size of the Quantum is not conducive to carrying around for a day of wedding.
    What I learned is, go with the SD8a with rechargable batteries for the flash and power pack. It's fast, light, compact and cheap compared to the Black Box or Quantum. You can always carry spare AA batteries but I've never had to change the batteries from the pack during a day of shooting as most times, the flash isn't putting out maximum power.

7. Tpsfoto

Tpsfoto

Jun 15, 2008
    Las Vegas NV
    As mentioned above ...I like the Black box or Tuxedo by www.aljacobs.com
    They do not burn up you units ....recycle is faster than batteries & lasts along time....Quantums are great too ....but you pay alot more $ for fancy packaging.....(the Al Jacobs batteries do use the Quantum cord & he does not sell them). If you want to see them I am in Hicksville ...a photo studio on Old Country Road

8. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Larry, thanks... I might pay you a visit to see them. Size and weight are issues, but cycle time and charge duration are paramount.. I'll reach out if a visit seems like it might help me decide. thanks for the offer!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.