External hard drive photo recovery

Hella again,

I have a Seagate external hard drive that stopped being recognized on my computer. When I put it in the usb port the drive lights up but I can't find it on my computer. It stopped working 2 weeks ago when I plugged it into my laptop. Is there a way of recovering my photos..
Thanks Arnie

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
1. First try it on another computer.
2. If the drive is not recognised on any computer then you need to find out if the problem is the drive or the case/power supply. If you take it to bits and extract the drive you can try it inside a computer or in another external case.
3. If the drive is dead then you might in theory get the data back using a (very very expensive) data recovery service.

If I had this problem I would simply throw it away, drives are very cheap nowadays. Get your photos back from your backup.

The problem is I have photos from my last trip to Paris on the external hard drive..The light on the hard drive comes on but is not showing up on my Mac laptop or my IMac desktop.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I know it doesn't help this time, but I will suggest a way of working that makes sure you don't lose the photos if the disk fails. This is what I do:
  1. When you put a card in the camera, format it.
  2. When a card is full, put the next card in.
  3. When you copy a card to the computer's external drive (or internal drive), do not then format the card.
  4. This means that once you copy a card to the disk, you now have two copies. If the card is then lost or damaged, you still have the photos on the computer. If the computer is lost or damaged, you still have the photos on the cards.
Of course you need enough cards for a trip, but they don't cost that much nowadays.
Surprisingly very few people work this way.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
My back up process is just a little different from Richard's. On long trips I back up to either a laptop AND an external HD....or to two separate external HD's before reformatting the cards. Regardless, I always maintain two copies of my images both when traveling and at home. And I keep the copies in separate locations....

Hella again,

I have a Seagate external hard drive that stopped being recognized on my computer. When I put it in the usb port the drive lights up but I can't find it on my computer. It stopped working 2 weeks ago when I plugged it into my laptop. Is there a way of recovering my photos..
Thanks Arnie
Open the box, take drive out and connect it to an internal pc port (sata/ide)... here we've had two Seagate external drive fails, but each time it was "the box"...

Once data has been transferred to other disc, contact Seagate for a replacement box. We got both replaced for free.

Try it on another computer. If that computer does not recognize it, you'll need to send it for a professional recovery.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom