External hard drives -- which brand do photographers rely on the most?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stayathomedad, Aug 15, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I'm in the market for an external hard drive...

Went to costco tonight and on a whim picked up the WD 1TB hard drive for $199.00 thinking it was a good deal. But after reading some of the reviews on line after getting home, I will be taking it back to the store in the morning.

I'm leaning towards a seagate drive, simply because a computer professor once told me that they make good drives (it's the only ones he buys for his systems)...

Any thoughts or feedback about which one to buy... or which ones not to buy?

I just want something that works... is that too much to ask these days?

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i have two seagate external drives. the nice thing is the 5 year warranty. knock wood, the only drive failure i've ever had in over twenty years was an IBM drive.

ricky

3. My ExHDD farm consists of two WD 500GBs eSata, two WD WorldBooks 1TB ethernet and one WD WorldBook 2TBs and I am very pleased with their performance.
    I also have a 120GBs and a 250GBs WD passport.
    What I like most is the WorldBooks FTP server attribute that allows remote access from anywhere in the world :wink:

4. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
  5. I use 2TB of WD ... 4x500MB. I have at least 8 internal WD diives too. I have never had any WD drive fail this past 8 years...

Why are you taking yours back? I think $200 is a great deal.

6. I also use WD. Both internal and external. But I also like the LaCie rugged firewire drives for when I am on the road

7. I use 4 400GB WD eSATA drives now but will likely go to 4 2TB drives early next year. These are just for storage and backup. My internal drives are duplexed except for the small Raptor I use for a Photoshop scratch disk.

8. jaysinnva

jaysinnva

Nov 1, 2007
    Virginia
    I've used WD for years (for home and work), and like them very much. The only WD I'm not sure about is the MyBook series, going by reviews and opinions I've heard.

9. ryan davis

ryan davis

Aug 23, 2007
    virginia
    I have about 10 external HD's

I have used Maxtor, Lacie, now using Western Digital.
    I bought a 750 gb, my book and recently got a 360gb passport.

They are both fast and so far very reliable. The passport is small, and i carry it around. It's great for moving the photos off my notebook computer, then copying to the other drives.

10. Jester4176

Jester4176 Guest

I've had WD internal and external drives. In the past 10 years, I've had 6 WD internal and 1 WD external drive die. I've lost a Maxtor and 2 Seagate internals as well in that period. The WD external I have is a 250gb passport. It's a replacement of the passport I had for 4 days before it died and I had to RMA it. Too bad Connor isn't still around....they made the best drives I've ever used. My current external is a WD laptop hdd in an enclosure. It has a 5 yr warranty, and haven't had a problem since I bought it 14 months back. It's a crap shoot with hdd's nowadays. You could buy 2 identical drives, and one may last a few weeks, while the other lasts for years.

11. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    i use an icydock fw800/usb2.0 external enclosure and have several sata drives on rails.

12. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Drobo.com

13. The brand isn't as important as the question of redundancy, because they all fail at same point. Don't let one drive failure take all your data from you.

Sean

14. What he said. Anything can fail.

15. Seagate has been my choice for many years. When others like Maxtor, WD have had some QC issues, seagate has maintained a goold level of quality. I used to build PC's for a living so this is based on my personal experience.

16. Somehow I've ended up with a huge amount of Western Digital. I've had a 250 gig MyBook Premium running for some time, and then added a MyBook Studio 1TB drive probably 8 or 9 months ago. I've also had two 250GB WD Caviar internal drives in an eSATA enclosure for probably two years or so. Inside my mac pro are a WD Raptor X and two 640GB WDs as well... and my 320GB portable HD is also WD. Also have 3 320GB Seagate drives between the eSATA enclosure and the MP, another seagate in a portable enclosure, a 300GB maxtor external I've had going for 3+ years, and a 40GB Maxtor I've had going since 2001 or thereabouts.

None of these drives has failed. I don't tend to trust standard external drives all that much though. Most of my storage is run through the internal drives of my tower or my eSATA enclosure, which has two bays for standard 3.5" desktop HDs. I can replace them at any time by just removing the old one and putting a new one into the drive tray. It is a similar system for the tower.

As a result I only really use the 1TB MyBook and 320GB Passport (mobile drive) regularly of the pre-built externals, the 250GB one is dedicated to being my boot disk backup just in case that drive crashes. You may want to look into a good do-it-yourself enclosure and buy any hard drive you want. the 640GB Western Digital I have two of already is one of the most reliable high capacity drives out there...and it's extremely fast as well due to its internal design, so if you decide to put your own together, I would highly recommend considering that drive rather than one of the less reliable 750 or 1TB drives.

17. My son used WD but was'nt impressed with it. Bought a Seagate from Maplin Electronics acouple of years ago and still going strong.

18. ryan davis

ryan davis

Aug 23, 2007
    virginia
    I just sent one back, it is not a drive, just a drive enclosure and consolidator.
    I found it to be incredibly SLOWWWWW. Will look into a cisco enclosure, does the same thing, just 3 bays, not 4.

Why? do you like the Drobo.?????

19. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Don't forget GTech. Best drive I've ever owned. I just sold mine though.

20. I run WD MyBooks, just trying to keep the rack of them looking all the same :)