External HD disconnecting problem

I'm not the most technological guy, so I'm hoping some of you can help me out; haven't found to much information through google.

I have a 3TB Western digital hooked up to my Macbook Pro and its been working great, no problems whatsoever, the last two weeks. Today I go to get on the computer and I get an error screen saying its been disconnected and I should eject it before disconnecting etc. So I unplug it, plug it back in. I'm able to click on the drive, navigate through, even open up the Lightroom Catalog I've been working on, but within about 20 seconds it pops up again giving me the disconnection error. I've tried different usb ports and still the same thing.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advanced,

-Don

Macs will do that to you if you fail to eject before disconnect or shutdown. Very occasionally even if you do everything right, but too fast.

Try reboot, turn on drive, then immediately eject, turn off drive, then repeat. Eventually it will work.

It seems if you do something wrong or out of sequence, it is difficult to get things right again.

I download pics straight from the camera. Last week I needed a firmware update, so I reformatted the card, put it in a card reader and new firmware would not transfer to the card. I tried over and over and also went my previous photo iMac. The computer would simply not transfer the data to the card.

I was ready to buy a new new card the computer had never seen before when an idea struck. I have a portable Macbook for travel I forgot about that had never seen the D7000. I downloaded the firmware from nikon and it loaded to the card just fine. Then I put it into the camera and things went perfectly.

Just for grins, I reformatted the card in both camera and computer and tried again to transfer the update from the two iMacs.
No go, cut off after 20 sec telling me it was ejected improperly.

The other thing to consider is error messages are not always what they say. There is an error of some kind, but it seems there is no proper message so a random one is picked ( mostly microsoft does this). I no longer frustrate myself with them.

Hey Ronald,

Thats the thing, its always been ejected before disconnecting. I've tried rebooting and plugging it in and ejecting and plugging in and ejecting and still get the same error. I just got a new cable for it and it does the same thing.

Then I ask if it was formatted for Mac. Current Mac use FAT32.

There is a regular procedure under applications, utilities. Same one used to partition a drive. Problem being it will erase the drive.

This is very possibly a LR problem. Plug in and do not open LR. Type something in text edit or pages, save to doc folder and also external. Then see if you can retrieve it. If you can, it looks more and more like a LR issue and I do not understand how the catalog works as I am not a LR guy, CS5 and NX2.

What to do depends on if there are files there and nowhere else.

I would ask again in the processing forum as there are many LR users. I guess a catalog problem, conflicting catalogues or one file with same name in two places, but with different contents.

Then I ask if it was formatted for Mac. Current Mac use FAT32.
That isn't quite correct, Mac use HFS+ (MacOS Journaled) however a lot of people format as Fat32 which is Mac/PC compatible. Fat32 is known to be fragile.
If I was the OP I would be getting everything off that drive asap and replacing the drive. I've had a few problems with WD drives recently. Most seem to solved by ensuring the drives are formatted for Mac.

Its formatted for OS Extended Journaled. I mean I can open anything on the drive. I've opened raw files (.nef) in cs5, movies, etc. It doesn't matter what I open, within about 20 seconds it pops up the disconnect error dialog box.

They are having me sending it back. Just checking to see if there was something I could do to recover. Luckily I have a backup, and only lost some shots from the past 48 hrs.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom