External HD

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by GoGo, May 24, 2007.

1. NEITHER...I have tried just about all brands...and the one that I like the best is my sea gates!

2. Seagate drives have been trouble free. . . . all others I have had have not.

3. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    seagate

Forgive me but I just cant find that Seagate 1TB external drive.

This is not for system back up, I want an external drive to write to.

4. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    I'm not familiar with either but it looks like 1TB is achieved by RAID 0 setup of 2 x 500GB drives.

RAID 0 can be very fast but I would not know how effective RAID 0 with Firewire / USB 2 connection. Besides, if one drive fails in the RAID 0 setup, you loose all data.

So it's actually no different getting 2 separate 500GB drives as external drives. The speed of RAID 0 on USB 2 / Firewire connection is not taken to full advantage.

To answer the question, Seagate makes 750 GB drives. Nobody else does at the moment. If you want redundancy, get 2 of these 750 GB drives plus an external casing that can fit these two drives and do RAID 1. With two 750 GB drives in RAID 1 config, you only get 750 GB total space. That's right. Not 1.5 TB as with RAID 0. But if one drive fails in RAID 1 config, your data is still intact.

Hope that helps.

5. I have an external Seagate (500MB eSATA) and just love it.... very fast and reliable.

6. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    with raid like any other tech as long as the raid controller does not go bad then your raid is safe but in the long run just get two 500 or 750 gb Hd and enjoy

7. rwatts

rwatts

Apr 30, 2005
    Georgia, USA
    USB external drive enclosure

Saw a post about this product in the "Storage" section of DPreview.

http://www.drobo.com/

up to 4 drives (SATA) enclosure
    single USB connection & appears as 1 drive to host computer
    PC & Mac compatible
    hot swap drives
    with 2 or more drives, protects data against single drive failures
    (mirrors up to 50% capcity, parity stripes above 50% but drobo is not considered a RAID-5 array)
    increase capacity by adding harddrives (or replacing smaller drives)

The enclosure is not cheap, currently shows as $499 US without any drives
    Not avaible to purchase for couple more weeks (outside of early testers)

With 500GB drives around $130-150 at most online stores, a 4 drive configuration with this unit will provide 1.4TB of storage with a cost under $1000.

There is some overhead for management plus the capacity of one of the drives to protect the data. Hence, the available storeage is just under 1.5TB.

As our digital image collection grows, data management (Digital Assest Management) becomes important. As soon as these become available, I'm looking at getting at least 2 drobo units and some software to automatically backup my important files.

Photography is still just a hobby for me, yet I'm very concerned about protecting my files. I imagine that PROs would need multiple copies and backup procedures in place to safeguard their assets even more.

Anyways, thought it was an interesting device and all things considered, pretty reasonable price wise.

Regards,

8. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    If either drive in a RAID 0 volume dies, your data is gone ! No two ways about it. Only RAID 1 (mirror) and RAID 5 (minimum 3 identical drives with total capacity of 2 drives) gives you redundancy.

9. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    thanks

So everbody loves SeaGate for drives?

I was not looking for a discusion about RAID (I am set up for raid1) I just want to know what are the merits of these two particular drives, they seem so similar but are exact opposits regarding pricing.

That has me confused?

I guess I'll look elsewhere

10. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    What do you want to use them for? For exampe: If home based, you are on the correct path. If you want a more portable source, like one that is powered by the USB from your lab top, then look at LaCie. In my case, I lots of remote travel, and often power is not always availalbe. I download my CFs to a Hyperdrive (140GB - I always take 2 or 3 with me); then when power is available, I download to my laptop using downloader pro. After downloading to laptop, I make a full copy of all downloaded files to my protable external LaCie (I usually take four of these on longer trips).

This might seem like over kill, but data protection and being ready for failure is the same at home or in a remote location. The only difference is that in the middle of the Serengeti, you will be hard pressed to find Newegg.

11. Zensu

Zensu

May 5, 2006
    Alabama USA
    Thank You!

I am also very interested in aquiring an external hard drive. I am not very knowledgable about using these as storage backup. The idea of having a backup (mirror) drive sounds most logical from what others have stated. Thank you all for the heads up on the more secure option for long term data storage. It seems as if most of you are very pleased with the performance of the Sea Gate drives. I guess the other thing I'll have to keep up with is the media we use to back up our precious data. First it was digital tapes, then cd's and floppies and DVD's, next external hard drives. I wonder if the day will come in my lifetime when we will all be carrying around many terabytes of data in a very small portable device the size of a stamp on our keychains.:cool:

12. You'll hear lots of horror stories from everyone about hard drives. Pretty much everyone I know has lost a hard drive, regardless of manufacturer. No drive will last forever. Some fail more than others on some people, and never on other's.

Seagates have failed on me more than Maxtor's, yet you'll hear more bad stories about Maxtor's than Seagates in general. WD has only failed on me once. Hitachi has never failed on me. Personal experience with drives, not work-related.

At work, it's harder to say since we normally order a good 500-1000 PC's at a time, all of them having the same drive manufacturer. A year later, it will be a different PC with a different manufacturer. All the manufacturer's have failed here.

For portability, a 2.5" drive (not 7200 rpm!) in an enclosure is great for not needing a separate power cable. If you do go this route, make sure the USB cable supplied has 2 heads on it, as each USB port is only limited to 2.5w (500ma of power, +5v). Some laptop drives will need more than that only on startup but if it can't get it, it won't function properly. I've had trouble finding these cables in Canada so it's easier just to make sure you get one when you buy your enclosure.

If this drive is to be only used as a backup drive and used sparingly, look into something like the Vantec Nexus e-sata/USB. E-Sata adapter card (for converting internal sata port to external) included, and it is much faster than USB 2.0. The USB 2.0 is handy for those who don't have e-sata as of yet (think laptop users for starters).

13. Hi Giorgio

My understanding is that USB2 isn't really fast enough to take advantage of RAID 0. At least that is what I remember reading. ???

Also, unless you're editing video you probably don't even need RAID 0. If you editing pics I'd stick with a single large external drive. These can be had VERY cheap. 500 GB for < $200.

I'd get a couple of the Seagate SATA 'perpendicular' drives. Rotate them out for backups. These are wicked fast drives. I've got four of them set up in dual RAID 0 volumes on my video editing machine. They SREEEEEEEEEEM. I dumped my Raptor for them.............. they're that fast!

Good luck
    JohnG