1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Extra helping of D200 noise

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by ap10046, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ap10046

ap10046

Jul 12, 2008
    Miami
    I got some pics of a new Challenger 605 biz-jet early in the morning with the D200 16-85 VR . Iso was on auto and the pics were, well, embarrassing to say the least. they were so noisy, I couldn't believe it. noise ninja couldn't help much either.
    I will upload a couple for ya'll to have a look at, Is this common with the 200 as I haven't really experienced this before!
    Thanks
    Areez

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Please post an example. Per my own experience the D200 is a bit better with noise than D2X at ISO 400 and beyond. How high was your ISO? You should get good images all the way up to ISO 400 and passable images upto ISO 800.

What is poison for D200 is underexposure. Even a tiny amount of underexposure exaggerates any noise by a huge amount when you fix the exposure in post processing.

3. ap10046

ap10046

Jul 12, 2008
    Miami
    Hi Peter
    It was 1250....
    BTW, how does one post an attachment? its not allowing me to.
    thanks.
    Areez

4. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi Areez,
    you cannot post an attachment. To post an image here you must first publish it in some online service like Flickr.Com or Smugmug.Com or similar. Then you can embed your image link in your post.

Hope this helps.

5. 1250 is a pretty high ISO setting! What was your exposure setting on the lens for the pictures?

6. @ ISOs above 800

you need to ensure proper exposure to avoid noise - that being said, i have been able to remove noise from images @ ISO 1600 using either neat image or capture without problems. The D200, IMHO, is a daylight lovers dream camera, but for low light you really need to be creative and try to maintain a lower ISO by using faster glass or VR.

7. jcovert

jcovert Guest

I agree completely, and would like to add again that exposing a little 'hot' can give amazing results at high ISO. At the same time, underexposing at ISO 320 can produce a ton of noise once its boosted in PP. Perfect exposure truly works in minimizing noise at high (any?) ISO.

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hello Areez,

As stated above the D200 is pretty picky about exposures, however, it can be useful in some situations up to ISO 1600, but I tried to stay at ISO 800 for most everything besides indoor events.

One tip, I never used the auto ISO on any of my d200 bodies, because they teneded to under expose and push the iso up and I had noise. Even at lower iso it still underexposed in matrix with auto iso indoors.

I relied on the VR in the lenses to help with the lower shutter speeds with low iso. I also tended to have +.3 or +.7 Ev for indoor shots to help with the exposure a bit too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.