Extra Power options for SB-800?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam O, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    Other then the 5th battery holder and the SD-8A, what options do I have?

2. The Digital Camera Battery is the one I use. There are also good options from Quantum.

3. I have heard good things about Al Jacobs' battery.

4. When you ask about "extra power" - are you speaking about longer shooting life or faster recycle time.

The Quantum or Digital Camera Battery will certainly yield almost instantaneous recycle times and will extend the # of shots that you can take per charge.

The Jacobs Black Box will give you enough juice to shoot forever, but does not necessarily recycle as fast as the other two. A lot depends on how powerful the last shot fired was....if it was at full power, the recycle time is longer than if the burst was at low power.

Also - and VERY IMPORTANT - if you do go for the Quantum (I use the SC model and love it) or the DCB, be very careful about machine gunning your shots. These batts will recycle very fast, but if you fire off continual long bursts, you will fry the flash head. Take it from one with experience. It is very easy to toast an SB800 if you do not let it cool down between long bursts. And - if it happens to you, Nikon will know as soon as it sees the insides of the unit and the warranty is voided.

Nikon has apparently recognized this problem and I understand that the new SB900 has a circuit tripper that will shut down the unit if it gets too hot. Obviously, too many pros have fried flashes since many use external packs to power their flashes. The 900 is supposed to mitigate the problem by shutting down, but that means that a wedding pro will need to carry at least one spare 900 in his pocket because he can't yell "time out" during a wedding while every waits for the flash to rest.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  5. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    +1

I have one of Al's Tuxedo packs and it's just great. It's a piece of kit that you just don't have to worry about.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I'll give a +1 to Al as well.

While I don't have them any more my reason for selling them was that I didn't like the cord, but the batteries worked great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.