Extreme DOF !

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, Aug 3, 2005.

1. ...i still don't know what kind of flower it is, i just picked it up in the grass, next to my workshop ! It was less than an inch in diameter, so i had to close down the aperture, to get enough DOF ! Fortunatly, the Tamron SP90 allows to go to f/64 when shooting 1:1 (life-size) !

Fuji S2 Pro with Tamron SP90 - 1:125 @ f/54 - ISO 200 - RAW
    original.
    Cheers,
    Jean-Pierre

2. F/54!? Wow and so little diffraction. That Tamron 90 seems to be a killer lens. If it only had a sturdier build.

The flower looks like a Potentilla to me. If you could produce the green leaves I might even tell you the species. But even without knowing exactly what it is - it's impressive.
    Cheers

3. Very nice Jean-Pierre. No question but what f64 will give you a broad DOF and you have used that to your advantage here.

4. Thanks Harry and Gordon ! Yes: that Tamron really shines and doesn't seem to leave my camera ! It was the first lens i bought, together with the S2 Pro, more than 2 years ago... Although i have quite a few other lenses, i use this one about 90 % of the time !

BTW, i saved the first pic "normally, eg. in RGB... then i tried to save it in sRGB: as usual, the colors come out very strong and pleasant, but not as "real" as the first one ! Never mind, here's the second version:

original.

5. Going by the title I was especting the other end of the DOF scale, but this is a pleasant surprise at f54!

Very nice capture and sharpness all round as you would expect. Great work!

The sRGB version seems to show off more details of the center of the flower.

Regards,
    Jonathan

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Probably a Potentilla species (cinquefoil), in the Rose Family.

I don't believe f/64 is giving much real sharpness at all. There are physical laws involved here and the imaged area is small. Even when you shoot f/64 on a 4x5" view camera, it is hardly difficult to see the diffraction-induced softening of the image. Unsharp mask and digital recording can give a false feeling of sharpness, at least when the image is presented so small as on a web page.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    It looks mighty pretty on my new monitor...:>)))

Seeing things in a totally different light. Even my pics look better over here to me. :>)))

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I sure wish that I understood optics better. I basically understand what Bjorn is saying here, but from a strictly uninformed viewer's perspective it looks very good to me.

9. Hi Bjorn ! Thanks for naming that flower ! BTW, it's true that, for about any lens, it's "sweetspot" is between f/8 and f/16 or so, and one doesn't get a sharper image closing the aperture down to f/64, at the contrary, as many lenses lose quite some sharpness passed their sweetspot, so i believe that this Tamron macro lens has been very well thought, as it doesn't show any sign of diffraction at this small aperture... and the goal is to gain DOF without loosing image quality, isnt'it ?

Cheers,
    J-P.

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Unfortunately, your statement indicates something impossible. Tamron cannot stand above the laws of optics.

I challenge you to show us 100% crops of a very fine-detailled subject at f/8 and f/64, and then you might reconsider your assertion.