Extreme noise 102,000iso and DXO Lab 4 deep prime samples

Ok. so this morning I tested the camera for its extreme iso capabilities and ran the subsequent images through Deep Prime.
1. Squirrel at school
Squirrel 91200iso raw.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Deep Prime set at luminance value of 80
Squirrel at school 91200 iso.jpg

3. Nuthatch at feeder
nuthatch raw 102,000 iso.jpg

4. Deep Prime value set at 66
Nuthatch at feeder 102400 iso.jpg

Once again, I wasn't concerned about what parts of the image needed to be in focus, and images were taken through a not so clean window.
Note: interesting that in camera the iso settings indicate that the first image was at 91,000 iso and the second was at 102,000 but in this post the values are much less????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am more and more convinced that "DeepPrime" is a significant improvement over the old Prime NR.
I am as well Jim. The possibility of salvaging images that have in the past been ditched due to extreme noise has been kicked up a notch. I've historically not liked how some previous noise reduction software gave created a "smeared, plastically" image when I aggressively tried to remove noise. To my eye, ( and that's the colour blind , not the blind one :)) this works really well. Good to get other opinions. Any thoughts on why the posted images here indicate an iso value of 65565 instead of the actual values?

Amazing. As an old guy that shot iso 10 film for a long time the new technologies are amazing!!
I have been pulling out old images this year, and the new processing capabilities are wonderful- and can salvage some images that I would not otherwise have used.
It is a great time to be a photographer.
At the same time, it did smudge out some of the feather detail in the nuthatch so it is not completely magical.
Looks like an improvement on the old prime reduction.
gary

Amazing. As an old guy that shot iso 10 film for a long time the new technologies are amazing!!
I have been pulling out old images this year, and the new processing capabilities are wonderful- and can salvage some images that I would not otherwise have used.
It is a great time to be a photographer.
At the same time, it did smudge out some of the feather detail in the nuthatch so it is not completely magical.
Looks like an improvement on the old prime reduction.
gary
Thanks Gary. I agree.. technology is amazing. I agree there is smudging of the feather detail. Next time I will try using the default setting for Deep Prime. I upped the luminance value to 66 from default 50, thinking that 102,000 it would need more than default noise reduction

I haven't played with this a lot, but does dxo allow local adjustments of noise reduction? The nuthatch image looks like it would be a great image if we could paint some of the adjustment out on the bird, but leave it the same everywhere else. What I don't like about the dxo noise programs, is I really can not see what it is going to look like, until I export the image.
I really need to spend some time learning dxo. I now use it on much of my color work, but just for the basic conversion and I move it straight to photoshop.
Gary

I haven't played with this a lot, but does dxo allow local adjustments of noise reduction? The nuthatch image looks like it would be a great image if we could paint some of the adjustment out on the bird, but leave it the same everywhere else. What I don't like about the dxo noise programs, is I really can not see what it is going to look like, until I export the image.
I really need to spend some time learning dxo. I now use it on much of my color work, but just for the basic conversion and I move it straight to photoshop.
Gary
I've not looked deeply into all that the upgrade DXO can do. I followed my usual routine, ie a global noise reduction in Prime ( now will be Deep Prime); export to Lightroom where I can add more detail into the subject eg bird, and then export to PS.

Real Name
Ian
It would be helpful to post PRIME and DeepPRIME images using the same settings so that we could see what the actual differences are. Without the side-by-side, all we can tell is that DeepPRIME is better than the OOC image.

Also, while ISO 102,000 is a good stress test, I do wonder how practical it is in real life. Tests at 6,400/12,800/25,600may be more “realistic”regarding ISO values that are used more commonly.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom