Extremely stoopid question!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Gandalf, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    :confused: When the battery pack is attached to the D200, does the camera use the juice from the left battery first, the right battery first, or both batteries simultaneously?

Thanks! Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not very smart about these things.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi bill-

the camera uses the right battery first, then the left. you can actually see how many shots have been taken with each battery if you go to the battery info screen.

ricky

3. J Mark

J Mark Guest

My battery pack drains the left battery first looking at it with the door open. The battery check in the menu tells you exactly how much power you have left in each battery...very convenient.

4. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Actually, the MB-D200 will use the lower voltage battery first. Even if you place two fully charged batteries in the unit, they don't have exactly the same voltage, so the camera will select the lower voltage. This is true even if, for example, you have been shooting the right hand battery and it is at 99%, and you insert a battery on the left which is at 98%, the camera will select the 98% battery.

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i stand corrected :smile: just did a test to verify this. very interesting that nikon's built some smarts into the camera.

ricky

6. pixelfun

pixelfun Guest

True, that's how DC circuits work. The same applies when you have multiple batteries in your flashlight.

I don't think there's such thing as a stupid question. It's only when one doesn't get asked.

7. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the info. That's one of the things I really like about this forum--friendly people and good advice!

8. I think I will dissagree on this one but please correct me if I'm wrong. When batteries are in a flashlight (in series - creating a system voltage equal to the sum of the individual battery voltages) they are all drawn down at the same rate as the current flows through each one equally and there is no current flow until the series of batteries are hooked up to a load; you can't just replace the "lower voltage" battery and get bright performance again. When batteries are in parrallel the system voltage will not be equal to neither the low voltage battery nor the high voltage battery but something between the two as current will flow from the high voltage battery to the lower voltage battery until the voltages are equal and current flow will stop; current will flow between the parrallel batteries without being hooked up to an external load and batteries in this configuration will also be drawn down together when hooked up to an external load; the advantage of parrallel wired batteries is higher available current but lower voltage than series wired batteries assuming same batteries used.

By the sounds of things, only one battery in the camera is depleted at one time indicating that there is a battery selection circuit that will take the lowest voltage battery first, depete it and then move on to the next battery allowing you to charge the depleted battery if need be. At any one time only one battery is being used and the other one is dead weight, waiting for the battery selection circuit to choose it to be used. It sounds like the battery selection circuit will only make a comparison in voltages and hence a "selection" only when one or both batteries are changed out.

9. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Thanks Derrick. Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about this stuff!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.