Eye cup for D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Medic1210, Aug 15, 2008.

1. I like the viewfinder eyecups found on the D series bodies, and wondered if anybody makes one for the D300. Anybody here use one? If so, how do you like it?

2. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
  3. mikhailr

mikhailr Guest

I have been using with my D200:
    Nikon DK-22 Eyepiece Adapter for N2-4-5-6000 Series, N50, N55, N60, N65, N70, N75, N80, Pronea, FE10 & FM10, D100, D70/s and D50 Cameras
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37445-REG/Nikon_2370_DK_22_Eyepiece_Adapter_for.html,
    Nikon Finder Eyepiece for FM, FE & FA Series Cameras (you can also use diopter eyepies, but be sure you are purchasing one for the same series cameras)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37450-REG/Nikon_2925_Finder_Eyepiece_for_FM_.html,
    and
    Nikon DK-3 Rubber Eyecup for FM3a, FM2, FE2 & FA
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37324-REG/Nikon_2362_DK_3_Rubber_Eyecup.html.

Now I use this setup for D300 successfully.

Mikhail.

4. Thanks,

So basically, I need the DK-22 adapter and the DK-3 Eyecup to work on my D300?

5. The 3 things that mikhailr posted links to is everything you need. I been using them on each of my D300's for a few months now. Until I lost the one in Daytona Beach, FL...:mad: 

6. Ok, so you need the adapter with the clear dust protector too? I thought that was just something for glasses users to get.

So, for those of you that have used this setup, is it better than the standard rectangular eyecup?

7. Yeah you need the clear piece too. That actually holds the dk-22 and dk-3 together.

I really like the setup compared to the rectangular one. On a bright sunny day it blocks out all the sunlight etc. Worth the price for the round setup IMO...

8. Thanks. I'm sold. In fact, I have another member here selling his because he's gone to the D40, and it doesn't fit.

Thanks,

Mike

9. Thanks for this thread, it's something I'd been wondering about. Actually I thought it came with the D300, but now I guess it doesn't! Good to know.

10. Joe Skulason

Joe Skulason

Dec 4, 2007
    Iceland
    My D300 is on the way, I was thinking about this today... Those 3 items are in my cart at B&h! ;)  Thanks!

11. Ordered this setup from Adorama on Saturday and received a notice that it was in the mail Sunday. Total cost with shipping $33.15

12. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Do these block any of the viewfinder?

13. slighty,I ordered mine on Monday from B&H got it Tuesday,not bad service.Remember rubber eye cups are not the best if you have Glasses.

14. Just got my eye cup in the mail from another member. First impression is, this thing is larger than I imagined. I'm going to have to shoot a couple hundred photos to decide if I really like it or not. It does vignette the viewfinder a bit unless you really cram your eye up against it. Takes a bit of getting used to I believe.

15. Yes, I've had two of the and just ordered another one, they work just fine and go on easy. Why have I had two and am ordering another one, because they have a tendency to snap off very easily. If you accidentally knock or rub the rubber eye cup while taking or putting the camera in it's case, the plastic snaps that hold it on the camera will break. I've lost two that way. The plastic mounting will break quite easily. I'm going to give it one more shot and see what's happens.
    Having said all of this, I this is a knock off of the original Nikon DK-22 setup and the Nikon one might be plastic as well.

But for that price I'd definitely give it a go and see what you think.

16. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    After adding an eye cup to my D2X, I found the setup you are using, which I use on my D300 as well, to be too tall (sticking out away from the body) and not only did it cause vignetting, but it made it hard to get the body in and out of my ThinkTank bag where it is a snug fit to begin with.

So I took the piece that attaches to the body and used a dremel tool to cut the front half off (where the back of cup sits) leaving just the part that dovetails onto the body, smoothed it with a sanding block, and threaded the eye cup back in. It's far better now!! What a difference 1/8" makes!! A second benefit of this is security.. I used to knock the slide-on assembly off all the time. Now, since the threaded section on the back of the eye is slightly taller than the threaded mate in the attachment piece, I can tighten the two once it's on the body, and it locks the entire assembly against the small viewfinder protrusion on the body.

The eye cup used to sit in my bag because it wasn't a clean installation.. now I love it! I can take some pictures if this doesn't make sense..

17. Please. I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing what you're talking about.

18. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    The Nikon mount is plastic but with a much higher nylon content. Dramatically stronger and none of mine ever came off my cameras. I also use TT holsters. (They certainly could have allowed just a bit more room in the holster for us, eh?!)

The Nikon rubber eyecup is noticeably more flexible than the BOCA Photo generic version. I especially like the way I can snap the Nikon cup into a reversed position for easy storage in a bag or if I'm wearing a pair of sunglasses that don't interact with the eyecup well.

To increase the life of any of these cups, I give them an application of 303 UV protectant before I install them. This keeps them nice and pliable and they last much longer if treated as such annually.

Wish there was a slightly smaller version that could be used on the little D40 series bodies as the full size Nikon version blocks a good portion of the LCD.

19. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I will...

But in the interim, this piece was the culprit..

[​IMG]

Basically, if you look at this from the side, you'll see it stands pretty tall, making the eye cup stand away from the body. I cut the front protruding part off and reassembled it without that 1/8" protrusion.

But it might be easier to just buy one here...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.