Eye One Display 2 Questions

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by jfenton, Apr 6, 2007.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I bought a new Eye One Display two last week and last night, downloaded the latest software (3.61 I think) and started to calibrate my monitor.

If it makes any difference, the monitor is a Compaq 1220 21" CRT (new old stock...great monitor by the way which I found new in the box for $100...so I bought two of them!)

Anyway....rather than using the EASY mode, I decided to run the advanced mode.

The contrast and brightness adjustments were a no brainier, but when it came to adjusting the white point I got lost (I've gotten to this step before and turned back to idiot mode).

Whether I go with the RGB presets or the individual color modes mode, the program opens up the same little box, sits there doing nothing...never asks me to do anything...and I give up after watching it do nothing but little tiny tweaks to the green channel which never changes a thing.

Am I missing something??????

2. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Jim,

Looking at monitor specs, it has Selectable colour temperature. Can you set it to 6500? Are there options to fine-tune colour temperature or adjust RGB guns individually?

3. Do whatever Iliah suggests! His advce helped me to set up my Apple HD display for the Eye One Display 2.

Rich

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Iliah

I can indeed select the color temp and I do believe that the RGB's a re adjustbable individually.

The thing that I don't get is that when I get to that section of the profiling, the software doesn't direct me to do anything and it doesn't do anything itself....it just sits there?

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Jim,

Is there any button, dialogue, or something - my version have "Stop" button:

[​IMG]

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hello Iliah

Thats exactly what I see.

What does one do from there (in manual mode?)

7. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Jim,

When I adjust my monitor at this point I have found a tiny adjustment goes a looooong way. I thought I was doing something wrong until I finally figured out how small the adjustment was. I'm using a Samsung 24" SyncMaster 244 so there may be a difference in the adjustments?

If I get a chance tonight I will recalibrate so it will be fresh on my mind.

8. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Jim,

Next you are to start pressing buttons on the monitor to control individual guns. The goal is to get Red, Green, and Blue indicators into the center of the "green zone". Here is how it looks:

[​IMG]

Of course an error of +/-50..100K and +/-5 cd/m^2 is quite reasonable.

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Duh

Thanks Iliah....

I guess since it didn't tell me to do that, I wasn't quite bright enough to figure it out on my own.

Tomorrow evening I'll sit with a Crown on the rocks and have a go at it :)

Thanks Again!

10. Iliah,

I used a gretag macbeth to calibrate my 19" Lacie. I thought it made the screen look too cool. Is there a color temp I should set the monitor to, like the 6500k that you recommended for Jim? I get so lost with all these technical aspects.

11. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Harris,

Right now I have only limited Internet connection. Please post the exact model of your monitor, I will try to look it up tomorrow.