Eye Piece recommendation

Hi Folks,

I need to get my face away from being pressed against the back of my D600 and would like to get your recommendation for eye pieces.

I've only seen the offerings online and not in person.

I've seen the HoodEye online, the actual eye cup looks quite large and I've seen where some folks piece together various Nikon parts to make one but they all report that it actually falls off the camera often.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or something else?

Thanks

I don't mean to hijack this thread but want to add to the question, and may in part be helping to answer it. I was considering getting getting some kind of loupe for the LCD of my D600 to either check photos after I've taken them or to use as an actual viewfinder with a larger image for composing. Has anybody done that? If so what did you use and how does it work?

DAB

I use a Hoodman "hoodeye" eyecup for shooting with sunglasses and it works quite well. I helps keep my nose off the display screen too. Once you put it on...it is a bear to get off, which is good IMO. also, my eye cup has torn from being shoved in my bag and catching, but its my fault and not a product defect IMO. all that aside I have been using mine for over a year and love it....

The carry speed is more orientted torawds video DSLR and use in live view, hence its size and larger price tag.

I've read that this setup tends to fall off the camera...have you experienced that?

I ordered this from Amazon to try out, I'll let folks know how I like it.

Rainbowimaging Camera Round Eyecup Viewfinder

I have this set up and yes it can come off the camera. The only way it can though is if you don't fold the eye cup back into the camera when your putting the camera in your bag. The eye cup wont fall off on its own, it snaps over the view finder. I've used this set up for years on my D300 and it has only came off a couple of times because of my forgetfulness. This set up works great because it keeps outside light from your view of the viewfinder.

I received the eyepiece and it is certainly made well enough for the 21 bucks it costs. It is a magnifying eyepiece and I was able to adjust both it and the Nikon diopter so that I could clearly see the the viewfinder readouts.

Unfortunately there is vignetting which is bothersome and definitely affects the quality of experience when looking through the viewfinder....so this is going back.

The product description says, "Magnification: 1.08 - 1.58X". Even at the lowest magnification there's vignetting?

DAB

Yes, and while it was better than a full magnification I was not able to get the camera's diopter to focus for me with low magnification. Had I been able to I may have kept it.

And generally speaking, the further you eye is away from the built in viewfinder lens the more vignetting you get. I take pictures with my glasses on top of my head and diopter set so I can see the info and the subject. When I put this eyepiece on, even at the least magnification, which is screwed in, I could not get things to focus. Thinking that maybe this would allow me to take pictures with my glasses on I tried that and the vignetting became worse because my eye was that much further from the built in viewfinder lens.

I use the setup that richuwo11 linked to, on my D7000, and much prefer it to the original, and I've had no problems with it at all - coming off or otherwise.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom