Eye to Eye with a Praying Mantis

Finally found a decent praying mantis to snap but unfortunately it was on the siding of my home. This didn't lend itself for a decent background so played around with camera settings in hopes of getting a better shot. Here are a couple of them for what they are worth. Not quite what I wanted but hated to simply discard them.
35794940-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

35794932-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I believe this is a Chinese Mantid?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he is beautiful. They are good (insects ??) very gently and friendly and good for the environment.

Haven't seen one in years. Loved them when I was a kid and would let them in my hand and walk up my arm :>))

Grandpa told me they were good. So that was law to me, whatever Grandpa said :>))

Geeezzz I still miss him and Grandma after sooooo many years.

Glad you enjoyed them Greg, Leigh.
Gale, always nice to help someone bring back pleasant memories--and yes, they are really nice insects.

Jerry,

I love your images. The expressions are priceless. My son (eight years old now) told me that it is against the law to kill a praying mantis in Maryland because they are such good buggies! :biggrin: He explained this to me about two years ago after one took up residence in our holly bush. We have been waiting for another one to move in but no luck so far! :frown:

Thanks for the input/comments Martin, Crystall, Frank and Gordon. These were taken hand held with the camera supported some against the house.

H

hawkbug

Great shot Jerry.

Ok here's a question, it seems that the little black dots in the mantis eyes follow the camera angle. So, how do they do that.

Anyone, anyone?

hawkbug said:
Great shot Jerry.

Ok here's a question, it seems that the little black dots in the mantis eyes follow the camera angle. So, how do they do that.

Anyone, anyone?
Hawkbug, I'm certainly not the one to answer this. However, the two large, obvious eyes are compound eyes consisting of dozens or hundreds of individual eyes called ommatidia. The three spots on the top of the head are ocelli, or simple eyes. I suspect, but may be way off base, is that the dots you refer to may be pigmentation. Whether it shows up due to bright illumination I wouldn't know. If you note the coloration in the first (top) pic and the second (bottom) pic there is a change in the coloration of the compound eyes. Apparently these change color during the day, going from a pale tan in the morning to chocolate brown at sunset. Doesn't answer your question, and hopefully someone knowledgeable will step in here.
Bob the Spiderman, are you here?

Wow, that 200mm macro lens is impressive. Thanks for showing these good shots......Sure hope Crystall sees these so she can see what the 200mm can do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom