1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Eyecup for View finder...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by eastcoasteddie, Jul 13, 2018.

1. I keep losing them. I got a brand new one (3rd for my D7100) and I was shocked (and a little friggin ticked off...) that it jumped off my camera within an hour. Granted, I did a 4.1 mile hike with the camera slung over my shoulder, but the feeling of having a “complete” camera lasting only an hour made me feel a little...used...
    I vowed never to buy another eyecup.

Do you guys ever lose them as easily as I do? Do you bother replacing them?

2. Mine are all the circular screw in type (D5, D500, D850) and they have a lever that locks them in place while shuttering the eyepiece. No lost eye cups that way.

3. My and my wife's cameras have the rectangular eyecup that slips onto the camera by pushing it onto the viewfinder's exterior frame from top to bottom. We've hiked hundreds of miles over the years with our cameras slung over our shoulder and hanging in front of our torso, yet we've never had an eyecup come off. In fact, I recently replaced the eyecup for my D7000 after about seven years of use because the rubber had split open as if it had become dry rotted.

If you don't wear glasses, the eyecup may not be necessary. My wife and I wear glasses, so I fear that the viewfinder's exterior frame made of metal might scratch them. That explains why I would replace the eyecup.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. Unfortunately, both of us are blind, so we wear glasses to compensate...
    It just seems that the eyecups on my 7100 don’t snap on that tight. While walking yesterday, I thought about putting a teeny-tiny dab of glue on the cup to make it stay on better...then reached down and notice it was gone.

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I like an eye cup to help seal out stray light when shooting and to cushion my glasses when occasionally I have my glasses on when shooting.

I buy the Nikon ones and use the band to secure them in place. I put them on all my cameras. Haven't lost one yet. I do checked them when picking up the camera to make sure they are secure, as placing camera in and out of camera bag can loosen them.

6. I got through quite a few on my D200 & D300. Fortunately, the D4s has the screw-in type, which as Rick says, stays put.

7. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Gaffers tape works well for me.

8. DaveC

DaveC

Nov 28, 2006
    Aurora, IL USA
    I kept losing eye cups on my D7000, D7100 and particularly on my D750. I found putting a sliver of gaffers tape on the back of the eyecup where it is against the camera body provides just enough additional friction that I stopped losing them. If you trim it well, it’s invisible.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have some B&H rewards point waiting...I will use them to get another cup and try the gaffers tape...
    Thanks!

10. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    Karen, have you tried placing your fingers on the rim of the eye cup and pushing forward so the cup folds forward against the camera when in your bag. Takes the possibly of knocking one loose to about zero.

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks. Yep, I always fold the eye cup back against the camera body. I've never lost one, just found it was a bit loose a few times and that taught me be check to make sure it was on good and tight. LOL!

12. While walking through a garden in Zagreb, Croatia in May I noticed that the eyecup on my D7200 was damaged. Five minutes later I looked down and found a new one exactly like it laying in the gravel path. :eek: :D 

How's that for serendipity?

• Like Like x 2
  13. We’re going to Croatia in a couple months, maybe I’ll find one in that garden, too...;) 

14. I put one the D500 and found it steamed up the glass in cold weather.
    Must still be getting excited about shooting ;) 

15. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Jim, do you buy lottery tickets?

16. Nope. Never believed in voluntary taxes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. :D :D :D 

18. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    The only time I have lost one is when I took it off to put on the right angle viewer. As such, I keep a couple in the camera bag. That being said, I have used the camera without it and have had no issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.