Eyepiece Accessories

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by David Fink, May 15, 2005.

1. I always like to use a rubber eyepiece cup with my cameras.

The manual lists the DK-19 as the appropriate eyepiece cup for use on the D2X. In his review, Bjørn Rørslett mentions that it is also possible to use a DK-2 cup (originally for the F5). A post here at Nikon Cafe back in March also confirms that several are using the DK-2.

Anyone have experience comparing the two? Is the DK-19 somehow a better fit than the DK-2?

Also, I’ve found that an anti-fog eyepiece is an extremely useful accessory on my F100. The manual lists two possible anti-fog eyepieces for the D2X – the DK-14 and the DK-17A. The DK-17A is said to have a “safety lock”. Anyone know what the “safety lock” is supposed to be, and whether this makes the DK-17A a better choice than the DK-14?

Thanks.

Best wishes,

David

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I have the DK-2 on my D2X/H,

and had it on my D1X too. Sry, not familiar with the others.

3. The screw (inside portion of the eye piece) is notched. When the viewer shade (the inside shade used to keep out light from entering the view finder) is up, it prevents the eye piece from unscrewing. It unlocks when closed.

Enjoy, Bill

4. Hi David,

I will share with you an embarrising incident that happened to me while in vacation in Canada. I took delivery on my D2x very shortly before my trip to Canada and was not very familiar with it. I put the DK-2 on the D2x from my D1x. It was on my d1x with no problems for several trips. However while walking about the streets of Vancouver with a very heavy cam bag on one shoulder and the D2x hanging on my neck, I put the camera in and out of the bag repeatedly as we walked about sight seeing. At one point I took my camera out of the bag and looked through the viewfinder to find that there was no rubber piece and no diopter. Somehow unbeknownst to me, the rubber piece just fell out while it was hanging from my neck. It apparantly happened late friday night, so there were no stores and technical help was difficult to find. It happened, I assume the protruding rubber probably rubbed against my jacket and was pulled off with the attached diopter, I don't know, I can only speculate but it was gone, leaving the inner screen exposed and no eye adjustment piece (I wear glasses and use the diopter adjustment).

I kind of panicked, since my new precious camera now had a piece missing and a big gap in the back. I didn't know if the exposed chamber would allow dust to enter the body and could not find anyone to answer the question. I was in a foreign country and in transit to another city (Victoria) and every thing was closed on the weekend, so to err on the side of caution, I did not use the camera for the entire weekend and left it in the bag with the metal protective shutter closed.

As it turned out my concern was unfounded as the chamber behind the diopter is sealed from the internal body, so I could have used the camera with my glasses on or just trusted the focus of the camera.

Anyway the short answer is if you do attach it, do so with caution. It could be that I did not attach it correctly, but I don't think so. I was extremely careful in attaching it. I double checked it, it seemed to be in very securely but oh well...

This may be why they do not recommend the Dk2. I think it is possible that the rubber in the DK2 prevents the diopter from seating and properly locking in place.

I must say, I liked the rubber eyepiece very much. In fact I just ordered a new DK19 and an DK17a anti fog eyepiece. I will let you know if this actually fits better. I did recover the DK2 rubber piece after retracking my steps but the diopter was a gonner so I can actually compare the two for you. It probably became a collectors piece for a homeless individual. They were everywhere in Vancouver.

5. Hi Scott,

Thanks very much for the reply. Sorry to hear, though, about your Vancouver ordeal -- that doesn't sound like a very good time, but at least you learned that no harm was done to the camera.

I suspect you may be right about the DK-19 being designed to seat better in the D2x. It will be interesting to learn your impressions once it arrives.

Also, I'll be glad to hear what you think of the DK-17a/DK-19 combination, as that is precisely what I'm considering.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, Scott.

Best wishes,

David