F-22 over Luke AFB

F-22 demo from Luke AFB Saturday afternoon.

601a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

587a.jpg

565a.jpg

566a.jpg

538a.jpg

#2 and #5 are my favorites. I have yet to see one in person, but I did get to see the JSF fly over Eglin AFB, and I must say I wish we just built more 22's.

In #3 and #4, why are the AA missiles yawed outward? Seems like airflow would try to pull them off. Sorry if this is USAF 101 question.

It looks like if they were fired straight out the engines of the F-22 might ingest something, even just the flame, and that would be the end of the F-22. Doesn't make any difference where they are pointed as they will seek and find the target.

Great shots!
Thanks!

#2 and #5 are my favorites. I have yet to see one in person, but I did get to see the JSF fly over Eglin AFB, and I must say I wish we just built more 22's.
I wish they would build more F-22's too.

Cool he had a few sidewinders loaded in the bays... light was just awful that day it looks like...
The light got worse as the day went on. I haven't posted any Thunderbird shots yet...the skies were truly awful by the time they went up.

Very awesome - sharp and detailed! Well done.
Sean
Thank you!

truly amazing!
It was an amazing demo!

It looks like if they were fired straight out the engines of the F-22 might ingest something, even just the flame, and that would be the end of the F-22. Doesn't make any difference where they are pointed as they will seek and find the target.
Hard to make out from the pic, but I believe there are blast deflectors on the end of the Sidewinder missles. I've never seen this on missiles carried on other planes.

A heavy crop of the missile. You can see the deflector a little better here.

566x.jpg

A few more from Saturday

551ac.jpg

578a.jpg

622a.jpg

Watch your six!

605a.jpg

I believe the missile yaw is there to prevent potential contact and turbulence when more than one is launched simultaneously. It allows a split second after launch for separation while the guidance system makes all necessary course corrections instantly. I remember asking a similar question of my cousin looking at shots of his A10 during Desert Storm.

Latest threads

Top Bottom