F-- error on Nikon D50

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Flash, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Only with this lens. AF Nikkor 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 G

I know according to manual that this has something to do lens that doesn't have a CPU chip built in or the lens is not correctly mounted or the connection between lens and camera are not being properly made.

It only happens sportatically. I can turn the camera off and back on and it goes away. My other two Nikon lens do not give me this error.
    This lens was bought separately from Camera and was the lens I have owned the longest.

Any help, tips or opinions. I can see nothing wrong with the contacts.

2. is the lens set to its minimum aperture and locked? (ie f/22)

3. Now my Sigma 70-300 APO has that capability but as far as I can see, the Nikon lens does not.
    The Sigma lens has not given me an F-- error. Neither my AF-S Nikkor18-70 G ED

and I am sorry the 18-70 was the first lens bought for the D50, the Sigma the last.

4. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    probably the problem

5. I understand "G" lenses do not have aperture rings. Maybe try cleaning the contacts on the lens carefully.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. oops my bad for not reading the question carefully, thanks Geoff and Paul for correcting this.

8. I had the exact same problem happen to me with a Tokina 28-70 F2.8 (orange ring) Turned out its partly the D50's fault.

Once i hooked up the same lens to a D70s everything worked fine all the time.
    Since its a nikon lens though you might be able to get them to fix it for free, But tokina wanted 125$ to rechip the lens (and i'm not even sure that would fix it) It certainly wasn't the contacts. So if you can find someone with a d70 to test it, and then you will know it has to do with the camera, rather than the lens (though rechipping would probably fix it)

9. Thanks. Visually looking at the contacts on camera and lens, i can see no damage. What would I use to clean them with?

10. You can use alcohol on a qtip or an easier solution is just a rubber eraser (be careful not to press to hard to create eraser fragments).

Another thing that could be wrong is the aperature lever arm could be bent, and not engaging the lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.