F/stop vs. F/stop issue quizz?

OK, let's see how sharp this group is. This should be easy.

1. Given two lenses with the same focal length, will an F/6.4 have the same depth of field as an F/2.8 when the F/2.8 is "stopped down to 6.4?

2. What part does the diameter of the lens play?

Greg Giesing said:

1. Given two lenses with the same focal length, will an F/6.4 have the same depth of field as an F/2.8 when the F/2.8 is "stopped down to 6.4?

Greg,

I a noob, so I'll probably get these totally wrong, but I'm going to play anyway. :lol: What better way to learn than to flunk a test or two. 8)

1. They should be the same.

2. None.

Well?

Frank

Here's my guess.

1.) They are the same.

2.) It will allow faster and more accurate focusing in low light conditions.

Dave

dkapp said:
Here's my guess.

1.) They are the same.

2.) It will allow faster and more accurate focusing in low light conditions.

Dave
I agree with Dave on #2. My answer was based strickly on how the lens diameter affects DOF. 8)

Frank

Flew said:
I a noob, so I'll probably get these totally wrong, but I'm going to play anyway. :lol: What better way to learn than to flunk a test or two. 8)
I think that is the perfect attitude and so in the same spirit I'm going to hazard two guesses...

1 - I'm guessing this is to do with efficiency and tolerances with one lens at its limit and the other with capacity to spare. So I think the DOF will be the same but the stopped down lens will render the entire image sharper and will therefore appear to have the greater DOF.

2- I think this is something to do with the efficiency of light "collection" and so would go with a guess that the larger the diameter the better the lens.

N

nfoto

Greg Giesing said:

1. DOF is identical (I presume both lenses are focused at the same subject at the identical distance)

2. None. The f/number (N) is defined as the diameter of the entrance pupil divided into the focal length. The entrance pupil may exceed the physical lens diameter.

Greg Giesing said:

This DOF calculator answers both question.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

The only input data it requires is distance to subject, focal length of lens, and aperture used.

I like Clive's comment, too. I'd also speculate that two lenses at the same aperture/focal length might yield results that suggest different DOFs because of the varying natures of their bokeh.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom