F100 Film Rewind Forks

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by southmine, Jun 29, 2008.

1. I'm looking at an F100 right now, and it's in fantastic condition, but I've heard that some of the earlier models (before 21654XX ) had problems with the rewind forks breaking off.
    Apparently Nikon changed the design in later models.
    Does anyone know if this was common enough to be a deal breaker?

2. The last time I talked w/ Nikon's support people about this (Nikon uses our software for their knowledge base/customer incident tracking) they weren't offering free fork replacements any longer since the F100 is discontinued, but I think you can still buy a new one for $20 or so - 1-310-414-8107 is the Nikon Parts Dept.

Sean

3. Thanks for the number, but I guess I'd better see if Nikon Canada can still get the parts first.
    It's a Canadian version, and if Nikon USA is anything like Mamiya USA, they'll just refer me to them anyway.

4. RedTownCats

RedTownCats

Jun 23, 2007
    UK
    I was in the same boat a couple of weeks back -- seeing an as new (low serial number) F100 was very tempting. Trouble is you hear these reports and can easily make too much of them. If spares aren't available direct from Nikon, I'm sure there are loads of old well-used cameras around that could 'donate' a set of forks.

That said, in the end I paid a little more and picked up another F5 :Love: in as new condition. :biggrin:

I thought lens lust was bad enough!!! :redface:

5. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    One of my previous F100 bodies had the early fork. To be honest, the issue is overblown unless you are a busy professional that will putting your F100 to very heavy use. If you're like me, primarily a digital shooter and want the F100 to shoot an occasional roll of slides, don't let this be a factor.

6. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    get an F6 instead. no more fork problem.

7. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    Problem solved! As long as you don't miss the extra $1k.

8. Ha. Funny you should say that, as that's exactly what I did (or am in the process of doing). F6/MB-40 :biggrin:
    I started thinking, and the last three used cameras I bought, all had issues.
    I'm not saying I'll never buy another used camera, just not this time.
    By the way, If anyone else is interested, Nikon Canada does still have parts for the F100.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Closer to 2K.