F150 Ford Pickup Truck

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by MiriamJ, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Hi,

This is hubby's pride. He's put a lot of time and effort into fixing it up, and I wanted to make him a nice picture he could hang in his workroom.

I came up with this. I also had help from the retouching forum. (Thanks! :smile:)

Any comments, suggestions, advice, critique, how I could reshoot and make it better, or different editing or anything else is always appreciated. Do the reflections on the side of the truck add or detract from this photo?

Taken around sunset with a tripod. Shot RAW, D70 w/18-70mm, Nikon Capture with Reala curve, Photoshop, Neat Image, PTLens, lab mode.
    original.
    Thanks!

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    First, let me say Hubby is a lucky man, ideed!! What a wonderful, thoughtful gift!!!!!!!

The reflections on the door are a huge PLUS. Shows reflectivity of the paint / wax / condition.

Looks like the wheels were turned slightly to the right. If you shoot again, verify they are dead straight.

I may crop another 25% off the top of the clouds.

That's it! This is really an awesome idea. I show cars and a Harley. You just can't do anything nicer for "Hubby"! Way to go!!!

3. WOW, I see a future for you in product photography. He has to love this shot.
    Dave

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very good shot as is, but if it were mine, Id'a turned the wheels to the left, just enough so you could still see the entire rim, as this would make it look more dynamic, then clone out the fencing reflections on the sides, as I think they are a distraction. My 2 cents worth.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Miriam,
    what a great truck. Nice present to. Love the back ground.

there is a bit of a halo on the mountain on the background.

Something not right in the back window. Different sky.
    To may reflection all over the side of truck.
    Is it a silver truck or a blue truck.

Sure hope you don't mind.

I know you want it just right for your Hubby.

Merry Christmas to you both.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Miriam,

The image is well done as is, but some things you may consider if you are shooting something similar in the future....

*** if shooting at sunrise or dusk, turn the parking lights on

*** shoot from a lower vantage point (kneeling or on your belly) or a higher
    vantage point (from a 6 foot ladder)

*** as in this image, turn the front wheels to the left

*** you may wish to place the truck somewhere as to avoid reflections
    along the bodyside

*** consider a tighter crop

*** if you have the means to do it, soak the ground with water, that makes
    for a very professional shot

Just a few tips...what you posted here was perfectly fine and you have much to be proud of...he will love it and you for bringing it to fruition.

7. It's a beautiful truck and a beautiful image. The reflection of the fence on the side of the truck is a distraction IMO.

8. Looks like a pro shot for Ford advertising. You even have room at the top to drop in type. Not sure about the roadway at lower left corner, maybe needs more or none at all. Anyway, this could easily be photoshop'd. Again, great advertising shot. Congrats.

9. Thank you very much. :smile: I appreciate the comments.

10. I hope he does! Thank you!

11. Steve, I very much appreciate your feedback. If I shoot again, I'll try the wheels trick, and I'll also play around with the reflections.

12. Hi Gale, Yes, I do want the best that I can do, and I really appreciate your help. :) It's supposed to be silver, the blue is reflections from the sky.

I even removed a sharpening step, but you're right, there is a halo. As far as the rear window, that's the color that came out, but it isn't right.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, too.

13. Frank,

Thank you. You've given me a lot of great tips for the future. Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

14. Thanks very much, Gordon, for the compliment and the feedback.

15. Thanks very much, Muril. That's a good idea on the roadway.

16. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hello Miriam,

Now I see what you were up to. This is a real nice picture and your husband will surely enjoy it very much.

I agree with much that's been said above, but I wouldn't overdo the PS - it should almost look like an advertising picture, but still be realistic enough to display HIS truck, IMO. You pretty much got it right! Congratulations.

17. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's a nice shot. I agree with much of what the others have said about some of the smaller details, but even as is I'm sure he'll really like it. Personally I like the sky reflections but could do without the fense reflection. RE: the color of sky through the rear window, did you use a polarizer for this shot? Polarizers and window tint can produce some strange effects...

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Miriam,
    I am so glad you did not mind the critique.. I just know how much you want this perfect for him.

I look at an image sometimes for so long ,and then can't even remember why I was doing it.
    Come back another time and find the magic fix..
    I am sure you will also.

Please be sure and tell us how he liked it :>)))

I am sure he will love it.

Merry Christmas.

19. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Miriam

Great shot - nice illustrated look not overdone.

All the best

Ray

20. The only idea I have is to crop the piece of road on the bottom left, otherwise very nice.