1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

F2SB finds a new home

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by frankier, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I got this F2SB, locally, after some long (read: painful) negotiation with the previous owner who was clinging on it and justifying it with pricing issue. The camera came with a 50 1.4 Ai, an SB10 with its brown leather pouch, a Vivitar 28 1.4 and a Vivitar 80-210, plus a pletora of (Vivitar) filters all in their nice little boxes, plus original receipt, warranty slip, and manuals for all of the above.

The camera is in excellent condition and the guy maintains that he used it for maybe 10 rolls since 1978 or 79 when his wife gave to him as a present. No reason to doubt that since money had already been exchanged when he stated that.

That's how it came:

Nikon_F2SB_046.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/4.0    1/15s    ISO 400

... and here is the "package"

_DSC0189.
    NIKON D200    ---    24mm    f/9.0    1/3s    ISO 200

.... heck .. it even has a blank warranty card!!!:smile: Wonder if Nikon would honor it:biggrin:

Warranty.
    NIKON D200    ---    24mm    f/9.0    1/3s    ISO 200

And here it is:

Nikon_F2SB_028.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/3.2    1/8s    ISO 400

Nikon_F2SB_030.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/3.0    1/10s    ISO 400

Nikon_F2SB_001.
    NIKON D200    ---    24mm    f/4.0    1/10s    ISO 400

Nikon_F2SB_003.
    NIKON D200    ---    24mm    f/2.8    1/20s    ISO 400

Nikon_F2SB_022.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/3.2    1/20s    ISO 400

Nikon_F2SB_039.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/8.0    1/4s    ISO 400

These are the two only issues I could find:

Nikon_F2SB_039_.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/8.0    1/4s    ISO 400

and ...

Nikon_F2SB_013.
    NIKON D200    ---    30mm    f/1.4    1/60s    ISO 400

2. Wow, nice!
    Isn't it a sin to know how many of these beauties are stashed away "where the sun don't shine"? These were the top of the top in their days, as were those which followed (notably the F3, F4 and more).
    I hope that you will use it some.

3. Thanks!

The plan is to use it, but sparingly and gently:smile:

A (cheaper, but still good looking) FM2n will endure more usage on the film side.:biggrin:

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Looks very nice to me. I look foward to seeing what you can do with it.

I'm afraid the damage to the battery chamber covers is unavoidable if the camera has ever been used, the only way to unscrew them with with a coin and the metal simply isn't hard enough to take the pressure without deforming slightly.

5. Thanks!

Well they could have covered the coin with some masking tape or cloth of some sort .... but that's me being me. Overall, I am very happy. The meter works just fine, no flickering, and it seems accurate, cursorily compared with my D200 and FM2n.

I will put a roll on and see what I can do. It has been ages since I have used a (serious) film camera. Now that I think of it, it was a Zenit E with a needle meter on the left top plate. Talking about taking your time to compose and take the shot!!:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  6. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Frankier, do you know how much you just cost me! :smile::wink:

Your F2 is beautiful!

(I just made an offer an a F and F3 from the same place.)

7. The battery cover slot is designed for a 10 yen coin - USA coins must be different!!
    I owned a black one with drive!!
    Shame the warranty is void as the dealer hasn't completed it ... LOL

8. Thanks!

If you can afford it, it is money well spent. These machines seem coming from another planet and certainly from another era when it comes to the craftsmanship they extrude.

Post some pics when you get yours.

9. Oh that's why there is a hole at the center of the coin, so that one can use a pencil for leverage.

Black one are even rarer (i.e., more expensive), I believe,

I am negotiating with Nikon the warranty issue :smile:

10. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    That's a beauty. I hope you enjoy it and get good use from it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.