F5 versus Leica

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Ottrott's Human, May 14, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Well.....not really....different films etc.... but here's an example of an image taken with an F5 and Kodak 400 film and an image taken with a Leica M7 and Fujifilm. No point really....just thought someone might be interested.

F5 with Kodak Portra 400VC:
    498724731_d4aeb138af_o.

Leica M7 with Fujifilm Pro 400H:
    498724709_90450fb73a_o.

2. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    Both photos are very nice indeed. One of the cameras is a lot smaller than the other ;)

Chris

3. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Indeed it is.....and extremely quiet too!
    Thanks Chris!

4. the second shot has a smoothness, and i prefer it by a large margin over the first shot...perhaps it is the difference in lenses, not the camera body

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I think it's probably a combination of the lens and the film.

The F5 shot was taken with a Nikkor 85 1.4
    The Leica shot with the Summicron 35 2.0

I think the F5 / Kodak shot has a decidedly....Kodak feel to it so I'm not ruling that out as a major factor in the difference in overall look and feel.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    In the F5's defense, it feels like a pistol going off when you fire it.

7. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Funny you should say that. I have said many times that you don't release the shutter of an F5 you pull the trigger. You are absolutely spot on with that comment. The tactile feel of pulling the trigger of an F5 is one of the main reasons it is such a near and dear camera for me.

8. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Well, I prefer Fuji's color films anyways, but it does have a smoothness about it, which I am sure is part film, part lens.

Anyways, both are great shots!

9. Here is some fuji color for you.....

GenoP

Nikon F3 HP ,Nikkor 45mm f/2.8P ,Fujicolor NPH 400
    f8

10. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Man, Geno! I bet that 45mm and F3 make a great compact combo!

hmmm...might need to get one for my F3

Oh, yes, nice colors. I've consistently been more impressed with fuji colors over Kodak, etc.

11. Unfortunately, the F3 is gone.....Randy Forshey now owns it. I would actually love to sell the F5 and get another one, or an FM3.

GenoP

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

wow Stu. I really l;ike the depth and contrast of the F5/Kodak save for the extremely dark shadow under Sam's eyes. I know that's just a lighting issue and could easily be fixed....Thank God we live oin a digital age!

13. Excellent... we missed her.

14. With the caveat that I don't use pro emulsions, and that this is all a terribly unscientific personal impression, I always think of Kodak as having the best blue, Fuji the best green, and Agfa (R.I.P.) as the best red.

Kodak (Kodacolor VR Plus 200, Canonet QL19)

397986949_22e382a061.

Fuji (Superia 400, Nikon F90x + Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-N)

471526230_5bfc61e509.

Agfa (Vista 200, Canonet QL19 GIII)

452961589_fcdaa4d3fe.

15. Of the two shots, I like the second best, but more because of composition, I think. Both are great, and I'd be turning handsprings had I shot anything half as good with any of my cameras.

16. I like the leica shot myself. They are both nice but leica has a look to it.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Pretty shots Stuart!

The Fuji 400 shot is fine, but the shadows in the Portra pic seem blocked.
    Have you tried Portra NC for skin shots? I much prefer its rendition to the VC which looks harsh and overly contrasty by comparison. Some people find NC's colors unstaurated, but it doesn't bother me.

18. Good shots. I like the film look of both! But the Kodak looks like it's from a cheap Costco scan (well, both look like that, but the Kodak even more). I wouldn't judge Kodak on this picture alone...

Since the light is different on both shots, I bet anything you want that the Fuji film wouldn't have looked much different then the Kodak.

19. TechPan

TechPan

Oct 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I am partial to the first. Something about it has more grit.

Both are great....

But doesn't Leica kill a kitten for every shutter click?

20. All I know is that Sam looks as beautiful as ever............... :redface: :redface: :redface:

And I'd kill to own either of those cameras............ metaphorically speaking of course! :biggrin:

G