FA-18 Super Hornet Pushing the Envelope

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Desert Rat, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Being a Newbie to the list I thought I would post a few images today in some different forums.

Was hoping to see the Blue Angels out at Pt. Mugu NAS in Camarillo, CA a few weeks ago, but the fog and cloud deck was too low for safe flying.

But I did get a shot of something I saw the year before.. I got a shot on film last year of the plane flying through the vapor cloud it created, but cut off the nose of the plane and just saw the afterburners in the shot.

The FA-18 Superhornet did a high speed pass and created the vapor trails with all the humidity in the air.

Have to say the D2x is just as fast as my F5, but did not waste as much film that day trying to capture this shot.

Comments and critiques welcome.....

2. a. I love the shot.
    b. I'm at work without Photoshop, but I suspect that if you used levels, or curves, to tweak the contrast it would jump out a bit more. That's not a critcism....it is a result of the day's weather condition that allowed the cool shot in the first place.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    That's cool! I hope Patrick sees this one...He loves airplanes!

4. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Top Shot Desert Rat !!!

How even more wonderful would this have been with a nice blue sky.... .

But great work, we don't control the weather yet ;-)

Keep Up The Good Work !!!

Johan

5. THnaks Vernon and everyone...

Vernon if you want to tweak it a bit go right ahead and repost it.. I am sort of a Photoshop newbie.. so not sure how much tweaking I want to or shoudl do on some images...

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Eric...which lens did you use to capture this awesome image? I shot the Chicago Air and Water Show this past August...all that I can say is, "thank goodness for digital photography after shooting 3600 images over two days!". Take a look at my Pbase gallery if you are interested in seeing some aircraft.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Vern...I just loaded CS2 into my computer, I hope to someday learn how to use those features to enhance my images. My images definately don't "pop" at all!

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    That is an awesome shot!!!! I would love to be a r.i.o. in that machine.

Thanks for sharing!

9. Well I was using a newly acquired 70-200VR with a 1.4X TC on it.. ISO set at 400 or 500.

I did not shoot as many shots as you did over two days, but I did get to hit three airshows here in California in October..

One at Miramar MCAS with the Blue Angels
    One at Edwards AFB for their open House
    One at Pt. Mugu NAS for theri show but got fogged out due to weather and the Blue Angels did not get a chance to fly that day...

You can check out my website at http://www.pbase.com/desertrat99/airshows_ to see some of the airshow images from this year after I switched to digital...

========================

10. Frank, BTW the airshow shots just need a contrast bump and they should look much better....

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I am looking forward to learning the ins and outs of CS2...my images truly lack punch.

12. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Eric,

Really nice shot - shows the speed really well.

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Just Fantastic. One word comes to mind....COOL !

Regards

RFC

14. Eric, first of all killer capture. I agree with Vernon some toying with curves would help this image POP. All the components are there, focus, composition, exposure...

For Eric and Frank: Ron Reznick's ebook has given my photography art an extra edge. My personal opinion is that after understanding his methods, my pictures POP a lot better, check out the threads I have started here and judge for yourself.

Money well spend for sure.

15. HEy brett, I just don't know enough about PS or NC to get things right.. Sometimes it seems like there is too much contrast...

For whatever reason I sem to be able to track and capture airplanes with the D2X but BIF are a whole different thing.. And the airplanes are moving quite a bit faster than the birds...

================================

16. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Smokin' shot!!!

This one is stellar!! Great capture! gg

17. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Wow, a great capture Eric...

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW is right.
    That is a fantastic shot.

19. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Cool shot, Eric! I was able to catch some shots of the Super Hornet with the vapors around it at a show a couple of months ago, but none were as cool as this shot. Nice capture!

20. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Cool Shot.
    Hey desert rat , just do alittle s curve in curves in NC, should help abit.

Bend the lower side down alittle , dot the middle , and raise the upper alittle , and adjust to your taste. Just play with them till you get what you like . No worry it can all be undone and done over.