Face-off: Nikon 60mm micro vs. The Beast

A comparison of shots taken with the Nikon 60mm f/2.8 micro and the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 zoom at 60mm. Both shots taken on-tripod at f/5.6. These are
totally unedited and unresized center crops.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 8264

Can you guess which is which?

J

jkamphof

Well, I have no idea. They both look pretty darn sharp however but #1 just looks a bit nicer....the colours are just a bit brighter and the image sharper (mostly near the corners, especially with the lower-right-hand drop dripping off the leaf).

If image #1 is the 28-70 I am really impressed but nonetheless I am impressed already!!

Now I am going to copy and check the EXIF if possible.....(**edit** Ok, no EXIF....well I have no idea but I'll stick with my choice :?: )

Joel.

B

Brew

I'll say #2 is the 60, it just looks an atom sharper but what the heck do I know :roll:

R

Removed User 2

I also believe the second is the 60mm only because of the contrast...

They are both so close, but I think number two has better bokeh. I think number two is the 60mm. Bokeh...never heard of that term until I joined DPR a few years ago. Love that word!

Crystall

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The first shot was from The Beast, and the second from the 60mm f/2.8 Nikkor, one of Nikon's
sharpest lenses at under 10 feet. I think the 28-70 held up very well 8).

UF,

Your 28-70 is almost impossible to discern from the 60mm. You're doing it again. I want the beast! I need the beast! Okay, I can wait...Mother's Day is still a few days away! Seriously, I really had to examine those cropped images closely. I have a 60mm micro (thanks to you) so I am slightly familiar with the bokeh. Your new lens is awesome!

Crystall

p.s.

Yes I am converting NEFs as I type. I promised to get those images posted and that is exactly what I plan to do, tonight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
CrystallP said:
I want the beast! I need the beast!
And I'm sure you'll have The Beast! ROFLMAO!!!

Yes I am converting NEFs as I type. I promised to get those images posted and that is exactly what I plan to do, tonight!
Excellent. I've been waiting anxiously for them. I'll bet they're terrific 8).

J

jkamphof

Well, I am impressed. From an initial standpoint I found #1 more pleasing (as hard as it was to discern between the two) so that 28-70 is a pretty impressive lens.

Damn.....am I gonna replace my mid-range soon now too.....?

Joel.

Thanks for another great demo UF

I love my 60/2.8 and the imprint is usually distinctive, but that is one heck of a case for your new toy.

Bruce, My Man.....telll me about the guitar in your pic?

This guy knows there is a heaven.....G.A.S. AND LLD!

cheeres from KC!

B

Brew

kccheers said:
Bruce, My Man.....telll me about the guitar in your pic?

This guy knows there is a heaven.....G.A.S. AND LLD!

cheeres from KC!
That is my TCM (Terry McInturff) Glory Custom. He is a small builder in North Carolina and he used to work for Hamer in the early 90's before going out on his own.

Mahogany neck and body, quilted maple top with nitro finish, ebony board, SD JB hum in the bridge, Dimarzzio cool rail mid and a McInturff T900 in the neck. It's a very well made guitar with great attention to detail. http://www.mcinturffguitars.com/
Thanks for asking, it's one that I'll probably never sell :wink:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom