Face-off: Nikon 60mm micro vs. The Beast

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, May 6, 2005.

1. A comparison of shots taken with the Nikon 60mm f/2.8 micro and the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 zoom at 60mm. Both shots taken on-tripod at f/5.6. These are
    totally unedited and unresized center crops.

original.

original.

Can you guess which is which?

2. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Well, I have no idea. They both look pretty darn sharp however but #1 just looks a bit nicer....the colours are just a bit brighter and the image sharper (mostly near the corners, especially with the lower-right-hand drop dripping off the leaf).

If image #1 is the 28-70 I am really impressed but nonetheless I am impressed already!!

Now I am going to copy and check the EXIF if possible.....(**edit** Ok, no EXIF....well I have no idea but I'll stick with my choice :?: )

Joel.

3. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    60 vs beastie

No 2 is the 60. But what a close race whichever way you look at it. Any pp?

4. No pp, Patrick. They're both unprocessed 100% crops. I'll give the answer a little later.

5. Brew

Brew Guest

I'll say #2 is the 60, it just looks an atom sharper but what the heck do I know :roll:

6. The first one is the 60. Leastwise the bokeh looks like the 60's to me.

7. I also believe the second is the 60mm only because of the contrast...

8. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    i vote for the first to be the beast also

9. They are both so close, but I think number two has better bokeh. I think number two is the 60mm. Bokeh...never heard of that term until I joined DPR a few years ago. Love that word!

Crystall

10. The first shot was from The Beast, and the second from the 60mm f/2.8 Nikkor, one of Nikon's
    sharpest lenses at under 10 feet. I think the 28-70 held up very well 8).

11. UF,

Your 28-70 is almost impossible to discern from the 60mm. You're doing it again. I want the beast! I need the beast! Okay, I can wait...Mother's Day is still a few days away! Seriously, I really had to examine those cropped images closely. I have a 60mm micro (thanks to you) so I am slightly familiar with the bokeh. Your new lens is awesome!

Crystall

p.s.

Yes I am converting NEFs as I type. I promised to get those images posted and that is exactly what I plan to do, tonight!

12. And I'm sure you'll have The Beast! ROFLMAO!!!

Excellent. I've been waiting anxiously for them. I'll bet they're terrific 8).

13. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Well, I am impressed. From an initial standpoint I found #1 more pleasing (as hard as it was to discern between the two) so that 28-70 is a pretty impressive lens.

Damn.....am I gonna replace my mid-range soon now too.....?

Joel.

14. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Thanks for another great demo UF

I love my 60/2.8 and the imprint is usually distinctive, but that is one heck of a case for your new toy.

15. Brew

Brew Guest

Well I had a 50 50 shot and I guessed right!!!

16. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Bruce, My Man.....telll me about the guitar in your pic?

This guy knows there is a heaven.....G.A.S. AND LLD!

cheeres from KC!

17. Brew

Brew Guest

That is my TCM (Terry McInturff) Glory Custom. He is a small builder in North Carolina and he used to work for Hamer in the early 90's before going out on his own.

Mahogany neck and body, quilted maple top with nitro finish, ebony board, SD JB hum in the bridge, Dimarzzio cool rail mid and a McInturff T900 in the neck. It's a very well made guitar with great attention to detail. http://www.mcinturffguitars.com/
    Thanks for asking, it's one that I'll probably never sell :wink: