Facebook Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dossy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Once in a while I take some pictures at a group event, then I post them to Facebook to share. I noticed tonight that if I tag someone and they display the photo on their sight, the line under the photo says "by.....whoever's site it is." Is there any way to avoid this other than to stop posting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    I guess I'm a little confused about your question. In my experience, if I tag someone in my photo, other friends of that person will see that picture as "so and so was tagged in an album", but they still see that it is my album. Keep in mind that when you create an album, you will be asked who is allowed to see it, and the most strict setting, I believe, is "Friends only" as opposed to "Friends of Friends" or "Everyone". I always make it "Friends of Friends". If you are talking about someone downloading your picture and then uploading it again as their own picture on Facebook or somewhere else, then that would be unusual and unethical but that is the risk you take.

3. Thanks for your response. I'm fairly new at this Facebook thing. What I saw was that on the page with all your friends photos, some of my pics appeared in their pics with their name under them. Is that what they did, download and then upload again as theirs?

4. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Dossy tag youself in the photo so they know that you took it!! Also always put your logo and also a copyright sign on the photo. It is actually good advertisement for you or it has been for me!!!

5. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    Dossy,

No, I doubt that this is what is happening. As long as you understand that anyone you allow to see the photo can download it and do what they want with it, which is pretty much true with putting anything online anyway...

I think what is happening is that when you go to someone's Facebook page, all of their photos are bunched together automatically, including other people's photos in which they were tagged, and if you recently tagged them, these photos will show up first. Again, if you click through, you should notice that these do link back to your album.

6. Thanks Samer and Debbie. I just double checked someone's sight that I had tagged. There is no link back to my album. All pictures underneath have "by" and his name. I like the idea of putting a copyright on anything I post.

7. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Anytime!!!:wink:

8. I've just checked and you're right Dossy. (Of course you are, I didn't mean I doubted you but I had to check because I've been using FB for a couple of years now and never noticed this, so I had to see if it was something to do with having different settings or something.)

Quite a few people I know use my photos of them as their profile pictures, and when you go to the photo on their page it always says its by them, just as you describe.

I don't mind in these cases but I've not realised before that there's absolutely no link back to my albums or any visible connection with me at all, which is a shame, and not something a copyright sign really deals with.

It would be better if there were a link. I'm going to look further into this!

9. So I'm not crazy! I didn't realize how possessive I've become with my pictures. This is a problem because a take a lot of pictures of group events and this is the best way to share them. I sit back and watch the tagging frenzy! (I never post other photos there). I love to share them, but somehow they shouldn't look like someone else took them. Please let me know if you find other settings.

10. I do exactly the same thing. I will let you know if I find anything. :cool:

11. I generally just share with friends, so they all know they are mine. On some occasions, parties when I'm not friends with them all, I do friends of friends. Sometimes I watermark them but frankly for party pix or mobile uploads I really don't care much either way about credit on FB.

12. I agree about the value of a credit on FB, except that its because its among friends that it matters sometimes. Not all "friends" are close friends, especially if you're talking about community events and the like.

They often can't tell where the photos have come from, and they might like to. Its more of a social thing, which is just what FB is for, but doesn't quite work in this case.

13. Most of my pics are not really party snaps as much as pics of fighters, Chinese New Year pics, musicians, etc. While I'm the first to admit they are maybe not the greatest in the world, I still put some time into them. I guess this is just one of those Facebook issues. It's still the easiest way to share when many people are involved.

14. jaikdee

jaikdee

Feb 25, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    When I upload pics to FB, I usually use low resolution photos. The photos are fine for viewing on a monitor, but if someone wants to download and print them, they don't print very well. If a friend wants a photo, I have no problem emailing them a photo, but for posting on FB and Flickr, low res is fine. The copyright is a good idea, too.

15. Put a watermark on them with your name or website if you feel your work is being misrepresented as taken by someone other than you. Even if they "re-use" them your name will still be on them. Unfortunately, that is the chance you take when posting anything to social networking sites. I don't post anything that isn't low resolution, a reduced image size and anything I would be concerned with someone else "borrowing".

16. Thanks so much, guys, for all your good information!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.