FaceBook....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by itsmike, Sep 30, 2008.

1. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Ok I got to ask.. Who is on it? A bunch of us at work signed up and discovered that almost the whole company we work for is on..

If you are on.. Look me up.. Mike Pollan

2. bigsushi

bigsushi

Jul 22, 2008
    Cotonou, Benin
    I'm on Facebook although I admit I use it mostly to just play their micro version of D&D than to use it for it's intended purposes.

3. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    One important thing about Facebool : do not post any photos on there !!

Here's why. This is an extract of their terms of use, concerning the user content posted on the site :

"When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site. By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content."

No so great huh …

4. Call me suspicious possibly paranoid but I think Facebook is just a large library of names and valid email addresses gathered and stored for marketing purposes...Always seems to be a catch...Sometimes free is too much....

Cheers

Ted:smile:

5. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    lol, its a conspiracy

most of the pics people post on there are of themselves and other people, not really artful pics or those intended to be professional works of art for sale purposes....specifically snapshots, etc, where you probably wouldn't care if anyone saw it/saved it/stole it, etc

at least that's the way I put pics up on there

6. yea, i've been on facebook for three years. Its not like you post you work so people can see it, its mostly you and your friends in photos. Also, it has turned into a sort of MySpace since the website was purchased form the original creator. There are ads and solisitations on the sides. Its annoying sometimes, but its a good networking tool if your friends are on it. I just started getting into LinkedIn which a professional networking tool. No photos or w/e, just find coworkers and classmates.

7. I was just about to write what Julien wrote. Here it is once more: DON'T POST YOUR PHOTOS ON FACEBOOK!

I've been there for some time now. It's an easy way to catch up with friends back in Finland (as well as in other countries around).

8. dhudspith

dhudspith

Jan 7, 2006
    North Texas
    I've found facebook as a great tool to reconnect with friends that I've lost touch with over the last 25 years. As to the posting of photo's, all I would ever put up there would be 'snapshot' type of stuff and frankly their terms of use don't bother me for those types of pictures. My junk mail volume has not increased since using facebook.

9. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I joined mainly because it's huge in the UK and it enables me to see what all my friends are up and what I've been up to in about 2 minutes - I've found a couple of friends through it that I'd lost touch with - mainly through "friends we have in common"

I probably check in once every couple of weeks so I'm not like some people who update what they're doing every few hours.

One thing to mention is that employers will often search facebook and myspace for your profile before offering you a job....so if you're posting "Leah is hating work and leaving early" kind of stuff this might raise a red flag!! I have my profile private so only my friends can see.

10. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I'm not on facebook. But I am on linkedin - makes more sense from a networking perspective.

11. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    I am on facebook and it has been great reconnecting with some people that I had lost touch with. I think I may just remove some of my pictures though after reading the warning above. There are quite a few photography contest sites where people may be posting their best work. It would be a shame if this stuff is getting stolen.

12. Signed up a few months back and have got back in contact with people that I was at school with from 20 years ago, I must add that I moved 100 miles away the day I finished school, so it is great just for that fact alone.

13. Been on LinkedIn for a long time.. Just signed up with Facebook and lord behold found a lot of my high school friends that I went to school with 25 years ago... But as everyone warned, DO NOT POST PHOTOGRAPHS..

A good tool for networking no doubt.

14. I'm signed up, but find the user interface to be much less intuitive than Myspace. Maybe I just never gave it a chance, but I definitely prefer Myspace over Facebook. The main thing that turned me off of it was the lack of being able to browse other members who weren't in your network. This seemed a bit counterintuitive.

15. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Wow.. I put this post up for people to add each other..

16. okcandids

okcandids

Jan 12, 2008
    Southern NH
    I'm on facebook, and LinkedIn, and Plaxo---LinkedIn and Plaxo for professional contacts, facebook for friends&family.

17. Also on Facebook... it's almost a requirement in the life of a modern US college student.

18. I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you object to the tangent it's taken in regards to posting photos? I think that's a very important piece of fine print that rarely if ever gets read when one signs up for sites like this. I know I never read that when I signed up on Facebook.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.