Faces of Central Park, NYC

Went (for the first time, :biggrin:) shooting just for the sake of shooting today with a friend in Central Park. I focused mainly on people shots. Let me know what you think! (honestly)

2733127953_4062ea58b0_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 234411

View attachment 234412

2733962282_2d75eb856e_b.jpg

View attachment 234414

View attachment 234415

View attachment 234416

View attachment 234417

david, i think that you have some very nice shots here
a bit of post-processing is necessary for each of them, however.... to bring out the the very best in the captures

#6 is my favorite

i'll give you 2 examples of how pp'ing can help an already good image become better:

345385682_S54Gv-O.jpg

345385700_3H2dN-O.jpg

i straightened the pictures
did some levels adjustment
shadows and highlights
contrast
sharpening
some noise reduction was done on the first image i retouched
hope you don't mind me doing this

Greg,

You also did some cropping....

I agree that some more PP was needed on these but, to be honest, I think you lightened them a bit too much.

In particular, I like the original of #4 better than your edited version. Of course, that's easy for me to say, since I didn't even try editing them. :biggrin:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Dave,

I'm curious what lens you used for these.

i appreciate the comments guys.
greg, i like what you did with the guitarist, but as for the guy reading, i was trying to show the effect of the light in that tunnel area and how he just sorta sat around doing his thing. i'm with newbert, your edit came out a bit too bright

if anything, i'd love to see some of the blown highlights in #8 and #6 toned down a bit. i'm still very new to photoshop and don't know how to do things like this effectively

Bert, I shot today with nothing but my kit lens (18-55mm) :biggrin:

Bert, I shot today with nothing but my kit lens (18-55mm) :biggrin:

Wow! I'm even more impressed with these images now.

Att 55mm max, you couldn't be at a very discreet distance in capturing these. Did any of the subjects question you about why you're taking their picture? I ask because I love candid shots like this, but I guess that I just don't have the guts to just aim and shoot at strangers.... :frown:

This was my firs time going out and taking mostly this type of shots, and I think it went pretty well.

The only questioning me and my friend got was from these two parents babysitting kids in the playground area. I'll post the 1 or 2 that came out from that group in a bit. Otherwise, the shots were from behind people or I was just relatively ninja. :biggrin:

this was the best of the few. the awkward lighting made his hair come out a bit overexposed, which is something i'd love to fix, but don't know how :redface:

2735233279_63ed8a4d1a_b.png

Interesting pose on the above Dave, as you say the light was really making things difficult. Nonetheless I don't think it totally ruined the image.

Did you shoot it with exposure compensation or was that default meter reading?

thanks
that was the default. i very rarely play with exposure compensation, although i probably should use it more often in situations like this. a shot like this would require negative compensation, correct?

Nice shots David. The guy in the black baseball cap & red shirt (in the background) looks like me.....and I play softball on that field in Central Park:

2733962826_44ce683206_b.png

thanks
that was the default. i very rarely play with exposure compensation, although i probably should use it more often in situations like this. a shot like this would require negative compensation, correct?

Yeah, negative would be the one to use in this situation.

That might have saved the hair and skin highlights on the child and led to a better overall exposure.

I tend to leave -0.3 or even -0.7 dialed in when shooting outside in sunlight

Yeah, negative would be the one to use in this situation.

That might have saved the hair and skin highlights on the child and led to a better overall exposure.

I tend to leave -0.3 or even -0.7 dialed in when shooting outside in sunlight

ah okay thanks for the tip. i'll make sure to keep that in mind next time

Nice shots David. The guy in the black baseball cap & red shirt (in the background) looks like me.....and I play softball on that field in Central Park:

2733962826_44ce683206_b.png

really? i was there on monday afternoon...

ah okay thanks for the tip. i'll make sure to keep that in mind next time

really? i was there on monday afternoon...

Yeah but I was there Sunday morning. I play every Sunday and I wear Red and black, LOL.

But im looking at the guy and we have a resemblance.

haha that's pretty funny. the friend i went shooting with wants to walk around the east village and just shoot people/things around there. we might be going sometime next week. let me know if you want to join us for a little while. i'm sure you have much to teach us :biggrin:

I really liked the composition of photo 6, but would agree that it needs some PP to really bring out the photo.

Great set of shots though, looks like an interesting group of characters.

I really liked #6. Nice composition that you have there. Very different than the perspective I saw when I was there. This is what makes photography great :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom